 Off-Topic / Debate / 19998
Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:52:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer Clark writes:

"The Songs of Distant Earth", IMHO one of the best books of all time, if not
the best. See also the Mike Oldfield "Soundtrack" of the same title, also
amazing.

With regard to anachronisms, one of the great ones is Clarke's vision of
communications satellites. In his paper I'm sure he mentions that they would
have a human crew onboard, presumably to replace the valves (tubes for US
folks?) that are constantly blowing.

Jennifer

Man, I *love* that soundtrack. It was sort of a gateway for me to other
ambient-techno stuff. I have the book, but I put it down about a third of
the way through it and can't remember what I did with it. Maybe I should try
to dig it up - course, I'll have to start from the beginning again.

Thanks for reminding me.

Actually, I think one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read was "The
Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, which I think is actually back in print now.
Sort of a parable for Vietnam - and it has it's fair share of anachronisms
as well. Starts in 1999 on the moon of Pluto, for example, and Earth's
already sent out colony ships by that time. But some of the science is neat
and the changes to Earth's society over time are interesting.

Of course, nothing beats "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". ;)

-Evil Wayne