 Off-Topic / Debate / 19986
Re: Dune, Foundation, and other critics of Empire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:09:12 GMT

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message

I think he's buddhist, and living in Sri Lanka still.  iirc, that's where
the story--'Fountains of Paradise' takes place as well.  Now my faulty
recollection--Fountains of Paradise was the elevator--if so, I can't
remember the story about the spaceship needing the giant icebergs on the
front for travelling thru space.

"The Songs of Distant Earth", IMHO one of the best books of all time, if not
the best. See also the Mike Oldfield "Soundtrack" of the same title, also
amazing.

With regard to anachronisms, one of the great ones is Clarke's vision of
communications satellites. In his paper I'm sure he mentions that they would
have a human crew onboard, presumably to replace the valves (tubes for US
folks?) that are constantly blowing.

Jennifer