 Off-Topic / Debate / 19931
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:44:31 GMT

We, all of us, are equal nations (or at least should be), and
the second you start thinking that you're better than the rest is the second
that there are second class citizens that are allowed to suffer so you can
live better.

I reject your moral equivelance of nations.

Now look who's misreading--I never said "morally equivelance" at all.  Would
you please read and understand what is being said.

Then you are going to have to explain what you mean by "we are all equal
nations".

The second we think we are better
is the second that there are second class citizens that are allowed *to be
free from their repressive, immoral governments*.

I like how you inferred that I was specifically talking about Iraq here,
when, indeed, as posted, I was talking about all the 'third world' countries
that provide cheap labour for the items you buy on a regular basis.

Thank you.

How else do you muster the
authority to act *in any way* in the world?  What justification did the UN
use to intervene in Kuwait in '91?  Consensus!  I reject consensus as a basis
of acting in the world.

And I like how you use the UN intervention of Kuwait and the subsequent UN
sanctioned resolutions against Iraq to justify your war today, even though
you find that the UN is made up of "corrupt, self-interested governments",
and that the UN, *in no way shape and form* authorized this particular war.

Straw man-- I *never* used the UN to justify *anything*.  Contrare, I think
that the UN is a sham!  I used the example of the UN's decision to intervene in
Kuwait to show that they acted on the justification of *consensus* rather than
on moral grounds.  Likewise, the UN didn't act against SH now based on
*non-consensus*, not on moral grounds.

Right and wrong are not subject to the whims of corrupt,
self-interested governments.  Morality is *not* relative.  The US government
is *not* equal to the government of China.  We *do* have the moral high
ground, because we love freedom and liberty.  And you are left to *defend*
evil regimes

THe US gov't is not 'morally' equal to *any other* gov't.  What makes you
take the stance that the country, the United States of America is better
than the country China, or better example, Canada.

China has a repressive communist regime.

Do you think that
America is better than Canada, John?

In what way do you mean?  In terms of governments, we both have representative
democracies.  We are both free.  I prefer our flavor, but wouldn't consider our
government morally better than yours at all.  They are practically the same.

such as the ones in NK and Iraq if one self-interested country on the
security council vetoes interdiction.  I don't care how many self-interest
driven governments object to us-- it doesn't make their positions morally
right.

No it doesnt--but then again, your position isn't morally credible at this
time either, so where does that get us?

Depends upon your justification for calling our position not morally credible.
If you cite the UN, then I would dispute your claim.  Otherwise it could be
that we just disagree.

It's really funny when you and others all agree that Saddam is evil, but are
unwilling to *confront* the evil.  It's all disingenuous lip service, because
in the final analysis, you are not willing to put your proverbial money where
your mouth is.  Inspections-- what a pathetic joke.  You do not love freedom,
because you are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to obtain and keep
it.

Again John, anti-war *is not* pro SH.

This is a point of contention.  You simply can't assert it so without support.
Just say you disagree.

You are blatantly ignoring the atrocities your own 'morally superior' gov't
sanctions an/or commits.  Which part of that didn't you understand?  You get
all worked up because Iraq broke Geneva conventions, but crickets were heard
chirping form you when your own side did the same.  This has nothing to do
with "Moral Relativism".  We can, and should, help those that are being
oppressed, those that are being wrongfully persecuted.  This is not the issue.
The issue is you and others like you who keep on spreading your own agenda
under the guise of "moral superiority and say "We condemn that" when "We" do
the same.

More straw men.  Again, perfection is not required for moral superiority.

So again, America is not God's gift to the world.

As far as you know.  Or did God tell you that personally?

I didn't read about America being Gods gift to the world in the Bible John,
or do you have a different version than I do?  Not that personal pot-shots
are great 'n all...

You certainly love knocking down straw men.  I never said that we were God's
gift to the world or that that assertion was recorded in the Bible.  What I did
say was that you or I don't know that for sure, unless, of course, you have
some first hand information that I don't know about.

JOHN