 Off-Topic / Debate / 20099
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:42:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
<big snip>...

I'll stand by my assertion. The US is superior to the DPRK(2) by this
prosperity based metric. The DPRK system isn't working now and has no
prospects of working better in future. It's also superior to the DPRK by a
human rights metric. Therefore, to say that the US and the DPRK ought to be
equal (for example both having one vote on the UN HRC, or both having one
vote on how UN funds ought to be spent) strikes me as false. I found an op
ed yesterday (but can't find it now) arguing this very point...that based on
what is being decided, different countries ought to get different sized
votes... the one I like was a vote based on proportional contribution to the
UN budget.

Uh, Lar, that may not be such a good idea - the US has a long history
of failing to pay US dues.  If the vote was based on current, true,
paid-up dues, there would
be many times when the US would have ZERO votes due to being in arrears.

The idea makes sense to me, but with our past history, it wouldn't
bode well for the US.

That's part of the original argument. If we don't get a vote unless we're
paid up, we (and other nations as well) will be falling all over ourselves
to pay up. ESPECIALLY if we get a 25% or so vote because of it.

I think there are a lot of possible schemes that could be considered that
are superior to "one country, one vote"... this is one of them. There are
others.