 Off-Topic / Debate / 19905
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:49:14 GMT

It may sometimes result in obtuseness, but many times it produces countless
blessings upon the world.

What?  You think America the Great is the only country that 'produces
countless blessings upon the world'?

Did I say that?  You are obfuscating and being argumentative.

  Dave: for clarity's sake, let me point out that John is objecting (not
incorrectly) to your charge that he is painting the US as the sole provider
of blessings, when in fact he merely asserted that the US has produced
countless blessings.
  For my part, I'd take issue with the word "blessings," and I'm not sure
I'd call them countless, but I understand that he's not claiming sole
proprietorship of goodness in the world.

  Admittedly, his tone elsewhere has resonated with precisely that vibe,
whether or not he intended it.  But if you wish to take him to task for it,
you should address it when it occurs; he didn't do it in the section you cite.

You act as if America is the second coming, John!

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

   Perhaps Dave K. is referring to Dubya's identification of the US as some
kind of instrument of holy vengeance against Iraq:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/26/sprj.irq.bush.war/index.html

Isaiah 2:12
For the LORD of hosts will have a day of reckoning
Against everyone who is proud and lofty
And against everyone who is lifted up,
That he may be abased.

  I know that Theocrat Bush likes to pepper his speeches with divisive,
inflammatory biblical language, but those of us who actually listen to his
language, rather than simply basking in the self-perceived glow of his
providence, get more than a little freaked out when we observe what he's saying.

     Dave!