 Off-Topic / Debate / 19901
Re: Break Out the Cristal (trickle-down economics explained with champagne!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:02:54 GMT

So again, America is not God's gift to the world.  Stop your self
cerntralized view and start seeing what's going on in the world around
you--that's what the author was trying to get across.

Because I am a red-blooded american boy; living, breathing, working, and
striving for all that is great and good for my world; and because I am
committed to a larger project which takes the downturns and the upswings
with a grain of salt; because I have a thousand-yard stare through the years
rather than across distance; this:

"Bush fiddles with economy while Baghdad burns"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,922217,00.html

Shades of Nero and Victoria's England (re: imperialism after Albert).  Read
Joyce's "The Dead" and catch a clue.

A true american has his eye on the value of the dollar (since we are denied
gold, alas).  A patriot cares about profitability not just for today, but
for years to come; he does not raid the financial foundations of the company
for a good payout by year's end.  Unless there are golden parachutes for
all, there should be golden parachutes for none.

No "attaboy" today, sorry John. I still have that Cristal headache from
yesterday -- or was it this morning?

Hail Satan!

-- Hop-Frog

Absolute Wow!  for the article, Richard.

Just to start a different debate, one of a more political nature, and one
where I don't have an opinion (yet ;) )...

Will, or could, the "American Empire" fall, much akin to the former Soviet
Union?  Perhaps these large empires are doomed from the beginning because of
the 'over-reach' these empires seem to get into--as the article points out.

Will at some point in the near future the point be made that "The American
Way" may have outlived Soviet Communism, but only by a few decades?  Will
America have the similar fate as the USSR? (not geographically--I don't
think any of the states in the United States will leave the union... but
that's a differnt topic in itself...)

Are these 'cracks' in the structure of America deep faults that cannot be
patched?  Iirc, Larry doesn't appreciate discussion on Post-Modernity, but
this may be a perfect example--maybe there is no *one* way of doing
something, unlike what Modernity leads us to believe, but how do you bring
the cacophany of different ideals that are all vieing for dominance under
the same roof such that none of them 'become god' to the rest?  Is
capitalism the 'American god' of today--and all things are subservient to
that god, and/or is capitalism doomed to fail because in the 'capitalist'
world, there are winners and there are losers, and no one wants to be a loser.

Wow, this is getting into a totally different direction.

WHen I say America in this context, mostly I'm involving the western nations
including Canada, for our economies are pretty much intertwined.

Dave K