 Off-Topic / Debate / 19960
Re: best way to minimise civilian casualties?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:12:37 GMT

I think I heard Rumsfeld was considering using non-lethal chemical
weapons. It would be both illegal and rather ironic; but it *may*
deliver the desired result with reduced civilian deaths.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Some pundits have been advocating that the best way to minimise civilian
casualties in this war (taking as a given that it has started and that it
will be seen through to the end one way or another) is to win quickly even
if horrifically... the "Sherman strategy" of not just marching through
Georgia, but burning it as you go.

This pundit argues instead that the best long term strategy is to do just
what is being done:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/03/27/do2701.xml&sSheet=/portal/2003/03/27/ixportal.html

... if the letters page is on-line, it is normally worth a scan.

Scott A