 Off-Topic / Debate / 20012
Re: Rats Leaving the Sinking Ship (Re: Just Teasing...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:20:10 GMT

"Top White House anti-terror boss resigns"
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030319-040543-3049r

WASHINGTON, March 19 (UPI) -- The top National Security Council official in
the war on terror resigned this week for what a NSC spokesman said were
personal reasons, but intelligence sources say the move reflects concern
that the looming war with Iraq is hurting the fight against terrorism.
"This is a very intriguing decision (by Beers)," said author and
intelligence expert James Bamford. "There is a predominant belief in the
intelligence community that an invasion of Iraq will cause more terrorism
than it will prevent. There is also a tremendous amount of embarrassment by
intelligence professionals that there have been so many lies out of the
administration -- by the president, (Vice President Dick) Cheney and
(Secretary of State Colin) Powell -- over Iraq."

From the same article:
"I found his resignation shocking," said one official closely involved in the
domestic fight on terror. "And it might reflect a certain frustration over the
allocation of resources. But I'm not positive that there's a consensus (among
intelligence services) that deposing Saddam's regime is a bad idea for fighting
terror. I think that there are serious concerns about resources and alienating
allies, but some of us see an upside."

"If it was your job to prevent terror attacks, would you be happy about an
action that many see as unnecessary, that is almost guaranteed to cause more
terror in the short-term?" said one official. "I know I'm not (happy)."

I pasted another section of the article for you above.  As for your concern
about an increase in terrorist attacks *in the short-term*-- what the heck
happened to your 1000 mile stare?

JOHN