 Off-Topic / Debate / 20022
Newsbit: Something I Hadn't Noticed About Patriot Act II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:40:21 GMT

"Justice Dept. Drafts Sweeping Expansion of Anti- Terrorism Act"
http://www.publicintegrity.org/dtaweb/report.asp?ReportID=502&L1=10&L2=10&L3=0&L4=0&L5=0

"Section 501, “Expatriation of Terrorists”: This provision, the drafters
say, would establish that an American citizen could be expatriated “if, with
the intent to relinquish his nationality, he becomes a member of, or
provides material support to, a group that the United Stated has designated
as a ‘terrorist organization’.” But whereas a citizen formerly had to state
his intent to relinquish his citizenship, the new law affirms that his
intent can be “inferred from conduct.” Thus, engaging in the lawful
activities of a group designated as a “terrorist organization” by the
Attorney General could be presumptive grounds for expatriation."

[Edit: Gee, I guess the Constitution is just a moldy old document. "I demand
to see counsel of my choice and a magistrate!" "Why? You're not a citizen
anymore..."]