 Off-Topic / Debate / 20030
Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
I guess my real question is why. What would motivate two men so different
politically to suddenly drop those differences and join for this goal? I am not >a Republican, but I voted for Bush and I tend to believe that he is operating
out of integrity and that he genuinely believes that Iraq poses a real threat
to this country. It is Blair that cinches it for me. This man, in the face of
stiff opposition from his own party, stands firm in his resolve to win this
war.

BuzzFlash asks Greg Palast:
"What the Heck is Going on With Tony Blair?"

http://www.buzzflash.com/interviews/03/02/11_Palast.html

Tailgunner Tony has figured out a way to shoot down a couple of enemies at
once. All politics is local, including international relations. Tony Blair
is using the war on terror and the war in Iraq as a way to smash his only
political opposition, which is the left wing of his party. There is no
opposition from the Tory Party or from the third party, the
Social-Democrats. And if Blair was to ever lose his job as Prime Minister,
it's because he would be voted out by the members of his own Labor party.

And there was a very good chance of that because he was losing ground.
Basically he was running a Thatcher-lite program -- privatizing the subway
system for example. I mean, he'd gone on a real ultra-right economic binge,
anti-government, anti-union, anti-social spending.

[big snip]

The answer is Irwin Stelzer. He is the guy who is a good friend of George
Bush from the Hudson Institute, and the most powerful lobbyist in Britain
representing British-American interests and, by the way, chief lobbyist for
Rupert Murdoch. As soon as Bush seized the White House, Stelzer walked into
Blair's office and said ‘we noticed that you were supporting Mr. Gore during
the Presidential election' - even though clearly that didn't carry many
states. Blair's effective endorsement of Al Gore did not go unnoticed. And
there was a price to be paid. Blair was given a list of the things that
would befall Britain from military subsidies and equipment, to a reduction
of value in the dollar versus the pound, which would destroy England's
exportability. And Blair was basically told get in line, stand up and salute
or "here's your last cigarette, Tony."