 Off-Topic / Debate / 20071
Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:08:54 GMT

This started in Afghanistan
where the Taliban was aiding and abetting top terrorist Osama Bin Laden. We
did that and successfully drove the vicious Taliban from power, and made a
fugitive of Bin Laden. I, like most people, would love to have Bin Laden in
custody, and that may yet happen, but his ability to carry out evil over the
globe has all but neutralized.

Me too. I'd love to hear what he has to say. Likewise for SH. Do you
think Bush would want us to hear about their version of events?

Interestingly, there *IS* an undeniable link between Saddam and the
actions and al-Qaeda; bin Laden has explicitly stated that his motives
derive in part from his disgust at the overbearing presence of US military
in Saudia Arabia.  Of course, the US military was placed there during and in
response to Gulf War I, so it looks like the US is the link that Dubya's
been looking for.

I can’t find a cite , but I thought the US bases dated back to WW2?

Maybe I'm getting my timeframe messed up, though I understand that bin
Laden's particular beef is with the continued US military presence in the
region (apparently greatly increased following Gulf War I).

I agree with that. But hey, the Saudia Princes are a freedom loving bunch of
guys; they need your support. ;)

Scott A