 Off-Topic / Debate / 20042
Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:05:30 GMT

Oil: Not in the sense that most people spout about America needing Iraqi oil
for their SUVs (though I gotta say that Hummer H2 is pretty obscene: worst
acceleration, worst braking, worst gas milage).  It's the contracts for
drilling, refining, and transporting the oil.  Look at Cheney's old company
already getting unbid contracts regarding Iraq.  The French, who are also
pretending this isn't about oil, are currently freaking because it has
finally dawned on them that they may lose all their contracts since they
didn't join in - to the victors go the spoils (I'm just observing what
happens, not supporting or condemning it).

Well, it is a simplification of things -- but the pro-peace movement also
needs its own soundbite.  "No blood for oil!" has been a kind of code for
larger issues, obviously.  Ignoring ethical concerns for now, longer-term I
can't see the downside to controlling Iraq's enormous wealth in oil -- in 5
or 10 years it will be exploitable if we seize control of it now.  And
current corporate scandals notwithstanding, I have to believe some
businesses are still looking at the big picture and down the road for many
years to come.  I mean, they can't all be cashing out by year's end can they?

Ditto.  But I don't think our prayers will be answered: note the warnings
the politicians are starting to issue about tough fighting ahead since their
planned-for uprisings haven't happened.

Wow.  You mean "the enemy" didn't just go belly up?  What a surprise!  I
guess that would be because Shrub and Rummy have proven themselves strategic
geniuses before, eh?  So no treason en masse on the part of the enemy --
who'd a thunk it!

Sadly, I think there is an ideological aspect to this matter on the other
side and we are about to discover what happens when you disturb a hornet's nest.

-- Hop-Frog