 Off-Topic / Debate / 20041
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:45:12 GMT

I opposed getting into this war but now that we're in it I want to win.
Unlike some here, I suspect, who would delight in an American defeat.

That's just being a pro-war accomplice after the fact.  Sorry, no previous
moral opposition gives anyone moral safety to now just go ahead and support
this great evil.

No one would delight in american defeat -- that's madness.  I presume defeat
means a prolonged war in which many americans die.  Nobody wants that -- so
shame on you for suggesting that anyone in this forum actually favors human
misery anywhere.  Yes, my own ethics come first when it comes to war; but
right after that I care about my country and my countrymen.

How about a strategic withdrawal?  How about we just admit our top ten WMD
sources were incorrect and pull out?  That's where we are now, it could be done.

The possible benefit of the undesirable defeat or the better option of
strategic withdrawal would be to halt U.S. imperialism in its tracks.  That
goal I wouldn't mind achieving because I think long-term the Pax Americana
is an untenable position anyway.

Look at Britain today.  I think the sun sets on the British empire every
single day now.

-- Hop-Frog