 Off-Topic / Debate / 20050
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:55:06 GMT

If Iraq turned into the democratic ideal and the shining star of the region,
the loss of life and goods may end up having been worth it.

Can you cite even one example of where this has happened before?  Where else
have we bombed people into accepting democracy?

True, the absence of precedence doesn't make the occurrence of such a
democracy impossible, but I would suggest the likelihood of such an outcome
is almost nil.

I assume that you are discounting the two blaringly obvious examples for a
reason?  Germany?  Japan?  The latter we did literally bomb into submission
(WoMD, to add some irony).

Given that logic, I'll stick with my "accomplice after the fact" statement.
If you didn't support the war, now is a good time to support strategic
withdrawal.  After all, our best intelligence is so far proving itself to
have been wrong.

That we have committed this far (foolishly) it would seem a waste at this
point to have caused such havoc to no good end.  Get Saddam and be done with
it, at least it would be a Pyrrhic victory rather than a complete
ignominious defeat (Bush may deserve the latter, but the troops don't).

-->Bruce<--