 Off-Topic / Debate / 20045
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:19:37 GMT

I opposed getting into this war but now that we're in it I want to win.
Unlike some here, I suspect, who would delight in an American defeat.

That's just being a pro-war accomplice after the fact.

I'm not sure that's true.  I think it's more of wanting to take the best
next step from wherever you find yourself.  Before the violence commenced,
Larry thought the best step was not to start the violence.  Now, given that
we're going to be doing violence of some kind for a while, he thinks we should
do it in a certain way.

Whether or not you agree.

Agreed

Sorry, no previous moral opposition gives anyone moral safety to
now just go ahead and support this great evil.

It is arguable that your suggested strategic withdrawl would cause more harm
than good.  I still hold out hope that we can turn this unwise action to good.
While we may not be primarily interested in freeing the Iraqi people, to do so
in a carefully measured way could be a great good for the region.  If Iraq
turned into the democratic ideal and the shining star of the region, the loss
of life and goods may end up having been worth it.

<snip>

Chris

I'd like to discuss where Saddam would be if the 'willing' stopped their war
now.

He's been saying "God is on our side!" and if the willing stop, SH will be,
well, I don't know where he'll be, but I feel that it won't be good for
anyone but him.

Dave K