 Off-Topic / Debate / 20115
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 03:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
No, but I think "Stalin had told P.M. [Prime Minister Churchill] of telegram
from Jap [sic] Emperor asking for peace" says that the Japanese had thought
about peace, and even proposed it to the Russians, and Truman knew that.
Again, I think that contradicts your original assertion(s).

about to surrender".  Not that I have seen evidence of, and certainly not
that the Truman had any evidence of.  Wanting to negotiate terms when they
had already been told that there weren't going to be any terms and "about to
surrender" are not the same thing.  You keep reading something else into
that exchange and proceeding from that mis-assumption.

Let me again state your assertion:

"we had no way to know what Japan intended beyond its action (which were
that the war was going to continue to the absolute bitter end)."

*IN RELATION* to what Dave said!!! "Recent evidence suggests that the
Emperor was about to surrender."  You keep taking it out of context and
trying to assert your own argument in there.

1. We knew *at least* that Hirohito had proposed a peace deal (albeit with
conditions) to Russia. This directly contradicts the first part of your
assertion that we had no way to know what they intended.

"...about to surrender"???  Nope.

2. We knew *at least* that they were willing to negotiate a conditional
surrender (albeit with Russia), which directly contradicts the second part
of your assumption.

"...about to surrender."???  Nope.  So it doesn't contradict what I said.

I am not proceeding anywhere - I am simply pointing out the error in what
you asserted as fact.

You have yet to demonstrate that because you keep talking about something
other than what I was: "about to surrender" does not equal, "rejecting the
terms demanded and wanting to insert conditions already stated would be
rejected but that's still a peace overture".  Look, Ross, this is going
round and round in circles with me trying to get you to actually address
this in the context that it was said.  The problem is you keep assuming what
I said was "we had no way of knowing that Japan was willing to discuss peace
as long as we understood that they would want a conditional surrender."  I
didn't say that.

-->Bruce<--