 Off-Topic / Debate / 20044
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:18:39 GMT

If Iraq turned into the democratic ideal and the shining star of the region,
the loss of life and goods may end up having been worth it.

Can you cite even one example of where this has happened before?  Where else
have we bombed people into accepting democracy?

True, the absence of precedence doesn't make the occurrence of such a
democracy impossible, but I would suggest the likelihood of such an outcome
is almost nil.

Given that logic, I'll stick with my "accomplice after the fact" statement.
If you didn't support the war, now is a good time to support strategic
withdrawal.  After all, our best intelligence is so far proving itself to
have been wrong.

Or do you support this version of "democracy" in Iraq?
----------------------------
"US arms trader to run Iraq"
http://www.observer.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,925309,00.html

Jay Garner, the retired US general who will oversee humanitarian relief and
reconstruction in postwar Iraq, is president of an arms company that provides
crucial technical support to missile systems vital to the US invasion of the
country.

Isn't it ironic?  I always think of arms dealers when I think of how best to
implement humanitarian relief.

::cough:: newspeak ::cough::

-- Hop-Frog