 Off-Topic / Debate / 20048
Re: My Concession (for John mostly)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:36:05 GMT

I opposed getting into this war but now that we're in it I want to win.
Unlike some here, I suspect, who would delight in an American defeat.

An American defeat is not an option (1); but the victory may be Pyrrhic if
this thing goes on through the Summer and/or with an ever increasing rate of
casualties - in many ways, that could be even worse than a defeat. :-/

Pedro

(1) - Really, it isn't. If we admit the (absurd) hypothesis that Iraq may
win, we'll easily predict the world economy sinks even deeper in the current
crisis, which is global and not US-only. So even the most fierce opponents
of this war are aware that once started, it has_to_be won by the coalition -
the alternative suits noone.
Realpolitik at its best... it took me a while to understand *why* there was
such a war-hunger in DC for six months, but now it is clear as water it was
an ingenious move. Disgusting, but ingenious nevertheless.