 Off-Topic / Debate / 20056
Re: My over-simplification of the anti-war movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:03:29 GMT

Hi guys, a long time passed since I last posted anything here but be sure
that I'm still lurking around.

Ditto.  But I don't think our prayers will be answered: note the warnings
the politicians are starting to issue about tough fighting ahead since their
planned-for uprisings haven't happened.

Actually I still can't believe how "The Great American Startegy Makers"
based their plans on such a stupid idea.

I don't like my government here, too. I'm sick of its atrocities to its own
people, its stupidness, its corruption, etc. But, try to come and "free" me
from it on top of your war machine, and I immediately start searching ways
to blow your head off, thats for sure. Everybody knows how bad a despot was
Stalin, and everybody knows how effectively and desperatly fought the
Russian people under his command during WWII.

Civilian causalties are an inevitable part of any clash, and every civilian
causalty creates a hundred enemies. You cannot manage anyone by killing
his/her friends and relatives (even by "mistake") to see the big picture
like "getting rid of the big dirty despot at the end". When death of a loved
one involved, "means justify the ends" will certainly not work.

Actually I can't see your troops' near future a bright one. First of all, in
countries where conscripton is still on command, there is no distinct line
between the civilians and armed troops. Every individual in such countries
were soldiers during a certain part of their life, and every soldier were
civilians with arms and training. I, for example still can utilize a main
battle tank quite effectively, since I was trained as a tank team commander
during my conscription.

When it comes to the street fighting, all the advanced war technology, air
superioity etc., with its bells and wisthles will have nothing to do about
winning the war. Rifles and bullets, and people who can utilize them will be
all that counts, and Saddam has plenty of them, too, I'm sure. You can also
compare the motives of people if you want: Fighting to free of your land
from invaders who killed your loved obes vs. fighting becuase your commander
said so for a reason nobody for sure about.

I think coalition(!) is just a blink away from creating a new Vietnam.

Selçuk

PS. I'm not saying Saddam will gain anything from that, I'm just saying the
price will be unimaginably high for US.