 CAD / Development / 3936
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:41:33 GMT

Paul:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
- Different coordinate systems

I don't know how many there are, but since I find the choice
in LDraw strange, I can understand people that choose an
alternative in later programs (despite the sillyness of it).

And earlier programs.  BriCAD, L3G0, Ben's (?) POV library,
VBLOCKs (an SGI GL program) and I think LegoPS (postscript)
used different coordinates & units.
Or at least they were all different from L3G0.

Yes (what a mess).

As a mathematician and physicist I prefer right-hand
rectangular coordinate systems with the first two
coordinates (x and y) in the plane and the last coordinate
(z) having the positive direction up. The units should (from
the physicist pov) of course be meters, even though the
minifig inside me tries to yell "deciLU".

- Naming conventions

What other "naming" conventions than part numbers are used?

L3G0 call a brick a "b2x4"; BriCAD called it a "b4x2"; LDRAW
was the winner hands-down by using mold numbers.

Yes.

- Using POV "modellers"

This sounds like a sensible possibility. I presume that they
are much more versatile than LEdit and the other LEGO
oriented CAD editors. Is that true?

I've mentioned AC3D before.  I have a DAT export module for
this that I used with the Throwbot leg:
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/?n=154
(The export module only works if you register AC3D):
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/andy/ac3d.html

I have a certain dislike for Closed Source (CS) Software,
and I would certainly not advice that we become dependent on
a CS program, when many people are willing to spend time
developing a good Open Source (OS) solution.

We should also remember that even though POV is a good
raytracer, it is horrible for building instructions. We will
still need a tool that can convert our files to LEGO style
building instructions.

I did some work in making instructions from a ray-tracer.
See the instruction images at the bottom of:
http://www.gyugyi.com/l3g0/darksun/L3/jade/outpost/outpost.html

They look ok. Will you reveal how you get POV to draw lines
at the edges?

If we choose to abandon the current LDraw editing tools and
switch to POV, we will need to write a renderer based on a
much more complicated file format (POV). This could be quite
difficult, and I suspect that making a LDraw "modeller"
would be easier than to make an instruction renderer that
reads POV files.

Ah, but code to parse POV files already exists.

I know (in POV :-).

True, the
nesting of the transform matricies makes it had to tell
what pixels correspond to the verticies of a triangle, but
if you don't need to CSG, and ignore reflections, refractions,
and lens distortions, you could make an LDLite-style z-buffer
renderer for POV.

My main worry is how to identify which edges should be
rendered as lines and which shouldn't.

Another problem is how to handle the step-wise drawing on
building instructions we have in LDraw. I am not aware of
any file format, except for the LDraw (and LeoCAD) file
formats, that can handle this.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --