 CAD / Development / 3858
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:55:59 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:

Well I haven't read the section of the book on vertex arrays yet.  From a
quick glimpse I suspect they won't help me much since I'm using the LDRAW
files rather than a converted database of parts.  I'm surprised you don't
use display lists at a higher level though.  I would think you could model
the scene with a display list using a bunch CVAs for the pieces.

  I haven't looked at your code but it looks like you're using a single
buffered window, that's a huge slowdown since drivers are optimized for
games and games use double buffered windows and of course, a single
buffer window is always slower.

  I used to have a single buffered window for the piece preview in
LeoCAD (to save a little bit of memory) but I soon discovered that it
was a bad idea, there were several bugs in my video card driver that
were caused because the IHVs simply don't care about single buffer. :)

Anyways, now I have a built in excuse to be slower than LeoCAD, since vertex
arrays let you model a corner with one vertex instead of three vertices (or
something like that).

  That kind of help would only exist if you lock the array or if the
vertices stayed inside the vertex cache of the card (that's not likely
to happen vey often with a random model). The biggest win is because
sending vertices with glVertex3f() is too slow.

  It's very slow to look for duplicate vertices and index them while
you're reading a file, so I decided to use a converted library.

Leonardo