 CAD / Development / 3777
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:37:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
Yuk!  Your libs and mine are not setup anywhere near the same way.
I have NOTHING in /usr/local/lib.

I didn't either, until I compiled & installed Mesa.

All the X stuff is in /usr/X11R6/lib.

Yup, same here (except Mesa).

[...]
Anyways, after I made those two softlinks I could link ldglite and
it just worked.

Whoa, that's interesting...  You had trouble linking before making the
softlinks??  I don't remember having trouble linking at all -- but I
definitely had _running_ (launching) the executable before making the
softlinks.  After making the softlinks, the ldglite launched fine -- it
just didn't display anything.

Is the ldglite executable supposed to be statically linked?  As far as I
can tell, my system seems to be wanting to load the Mesa libraries at
runtime, right when ldglite is invoked from the command line.  The ldglite
executable is still pretty huge, though -- 196142 bytes -- which suggests
that it's got quite a bit of _some_ kind of baggage in it.  :)

Hmmm, perhaps now we're onto something.  My executable is only 189110 bytes.
Significantly smaller!  ;^)  I don't think the executable is supposed to be
statically linked.  I didn't add anything to the makefile to do that.  Do you
have the .a files installed in addition to the .so files?

Here's some more random ideas to try.  No idea if they'll help, but why not...

Make sure you have libGL.so and libGLU.so and libglut.so with no extra .1 or
whatever somewhere in the library path, and follow the soft links to make sure
they eventually point to a real library file.

See what happens when you remove -L/usr/X11R6/lib from the ldglite: line in the
makefile and then relink.

Could you perhaps try the executable from the zip file to see if it works?

Don