 CAD / Development / 3876
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:12:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:

tools they already know how to use.  Also we never lose compatiblitly with
LEDIT (which I still like best, although I could be convinced to switch).

Yes, I totally agree with you.  I think that once you bother to learn
the LEdit keycodes, it is much quicker to use than a "point and click"
CAD system.  I think that any new LDraw-based CAD system should also
imlement the LEdit kecodes for the benefit of experienced users.
(Otherwise I would never switch myself! :-)

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Although not surprising coming from another EMACS user.
It's amazing how hard it is to convince people that you can get things
done so much faster if your fingers never leave the keyboard.  Unfortunately
it requires training to achieve the speed increase, which many people are
unwilling to go through.  The mouse appeals to our laziness.  Beckoning
"Use me and leave your brain behind".  In the real world where time is
important the best CAD operators use button boxes with all sorts of special
purpose functions on them rather than wasting time with the mouse.  Well
at least it was like that way back when I worked in that industry...

By the way, I was aware of your LDRAW emacs mode.  It was one of the main
reasons I started the ldglite port.  It's been a real long while since I
did any lisp though so I don't know how much help I could be.

Don