 CAD / Development / 3895
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:40:20 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

I would like to have even more external control.  I would like to be
able give the renderer commands like "\(add\|remove\) these parts and
rerender only what is necessary".  Would something like that take much
effort to implement?

Could these controls be added to the current format like the current
LdLite extensions?  Something like this to remove the 35th part?

    0 REMOVEPART 35

I think I would need something more.  What I would like to do is
this.  (Please tell me if I'm just dreaming! :-)

I would like to give the rendering program instructions as to what
changes has been done to the DAT file since the last time it received
data.  For example, one part line could have been changed, one could
have been deleted and one could have been added (to a certain place in
the file).  It should be possible to communicate this kind of
information, and the renderer would only rerender the parts in the
image which is needed to conform to the changes (to save rendering
time).

I think that we would need (in addition to the control sequence
above), something like this:

  0 ADDPART <line number> <part>
  0 CHANGEPART <line number> <part>

Of course, the "CHANGEPART" directive can be replaced by a REMOVEPART
followed by an ADDPART.

I wouldn't use the selections features built into X since they're
not portable and seem to be obsolescent.  What does gnome use,
Corba?  I've used TCP/IP for this sort of thing across various
platforms, but the windows implementations are not so great.
There's no loopback on win95 by default.  I like the stdin
approach, if only I could figure out how to get it to work with a
windowed app in win95.  It works great for console programs, but
stdin seems to go to the bitbucket as soon as you open a window.

You are definitively more experienced than me, so I wouldn't join this
discussion!  :-)

Fredrik