 CAD / Development / 3768
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:05:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
My first guess is it's having trouble finding the LDRAW path.  That'll give
you a white screen for sure.

Pretty sure that's not the problem...because when I run it with the default
LDRAW path (or with LDRAWDIR explicitly set to the right location) then it
chews away for varying amounts of time depending on which file it's asked to
display.  And I can hear the hard drive slurping up all the parts files into
the filesystem cache.  If I set LDRAWDIR to some non-existant foofoo
directory, then it doesn't chew away at all and finishes the (blank white)
display instantly.

I think I included a grey cylinder dat file
that doesn't require any other files.  If that works, it's the path for
sure.

You sent a cyl.dat file -- is that the one?  That appears fully white too.

Some other questions:

Did you build it, or use the executable from the zip file?

Built it per readme.txt with:

   make -f makefile.linux

If it shipped with a precompiled ldglite executable, it got overwritten by
the linker.

What is the exact path to the parts files?
I have something like /usr/local/ldraw/parts/4746.dat

Yup, I have that too!  :)

$ ll /usr/local/ldraw/parts/4746.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1  root  root  38253  May  4  1997  /usr/local/ldraw/parts/4746.dat

Did you try setting the LDRAWDIR environment variable?

Yup!  :-)

$ LDRAWDIR=/usr/local/ldraw
$ export LDRAWDIR
$ env | grep LDRAW
LDRAWDIR=/usr/local/ldraw

If your path looks like mine you could set it to:

To /usr/local/ldraw ?

Meanwhile, I'll have to add an error message when it can't find the file.
I can't believe there wasn't one already in the ldlite source.

Hmm, looks like there is at least an attempt to write "can't find file"
warnings in lex.yy.c and ldlite.l...  Looks like these call a function
zWrite in stub.c, which calls a function platform_comment in main.c, which
has . . . . hmm, a commented-out printf!  :)

Perhaps I disabled it somehow...

I'll buy that for a dollar!  :)  Putting the printf back in and recompiling,
things seem a tiny bit more sane, but it still of course gives a pure white
display window...

$ ./ldglite cyl.dat
comment  1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3004.DAT
comment  1 16 70 3 -10 4 0 0 0 37 0 0 0 4 4-4cyli.dat
comment  1 16 0 40 0 60 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 -60 48/1-4cyli.dat
comment  1 16 0 40 0 60 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 -60 4-4cyli.dat
comment  Official LCad update 98-10

And the results of the commands below look encouraging:

$ wc M6067.DAT
    213    3159    9966 M6067.DAT
$ ./ldglite M6067.DAT | wc
  10601   46210  326830

IOW, it succeeded in expanding parts in a good way, and spit out lots of
diagnostic/comment output.

--Todd