 CAD / Development / 3853
Re: ldglite (ldlite for OpenGL and Linux) new stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:46:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:
Actually the Windows version of LeoCAD takes 0.35 seconds to render on
my P2 350 with a TNT card (the Linux version should be more a less the
same speed). I don't use display lists, I use vertex buffers or CVA's if
the driver supports it.

Well I haven't read the section of the book on vertex arrays yet.  From a
quick glimpse I suspect they won't help me much since I'm using the LDRAW
files rather than a converted database of parts.  I'm surprised you don't
use display lists at a higher level though.  I would think you could model
the scene with a display list using a bunch CVAs for the pieces.

Anyways, now I have a built in excuse to be slower than LeoCAD, since vertex
arrays let you model a corner with one vertex instead of three vertices (or
something like that).

By the way, has anyone tested the instructions for hooking ldglite up to
Netscape?

Where are the instructions ? Next time I boot Linux I'll give it a
try.

According to my cheesy web site the instructions are in readme.txt in the zip
file.  I haven't verified this though.  Let know if they're clear enough.

Don

Oh by the way, I incorporated the bug fixes and upped the version to 0.3 at
the web site last night.