 CAD / Development / 10162 (-100)
  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

(...) In order for smoothing to work on parts outside the PARTS and P directories, you need to add the following to the header: 0 Unofficial Part This "turns on" smoothing in LDView. (20 years ago, 21-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

(...) I'm puzzled, too. Should I follow some convention regarding the order of primitives in the file? My optional lines *are* correct, I have verified that, but even a simple smooth cylinder converted with my program shows up faceted in LDView. (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

My converter has undergone a considerable update during the weekend. It is now called "max2dat", because it now handles the 3DS file format as well, and supports the two main export formats from 3dsmax. (The previous "max2dat" utility written in (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

(...) hi kevin, IMHO the main problem is that there is some confusion about the LS00.dat constrain an the rest like the flex-axle-end. my understanding now is that the ONLY constrain for all tubes is LS00.dat while the rest is used in the synthesis (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Animation Precision

(...) I think 2 is sufficient, but 3 "feels" safer. Once there was an extreme case where 3 wasn't enough. I had to rotate train tracks and a train from a radius of... I think it was 750, 800, and 850 LDU. Using 3 decimals on the sin and cos values (...) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Status of BFC

(...) How far 'percent wise' is the standard library bfc? In about 2 months i'm starting work on a rendering engine for LD4DModeler 2. I was hoping to 'assume' all parts are BFC so I can implement simple lighting. (20 years ago, 19-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Animation Precision

(...) I don't have a compelling argument for more or less but I think that if you can build the capability for more decimals then you probably should. In my experience if you think that users will get by with less, one will invariably come along (...) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Animation Precision

Hello, I've been working on LD4DModeler 2 (on paper) tonight and i have a question regarding precision. The question is what is 'normal' to use for the amount of decimals that can be set by user interface controls. I was thinking 2 myself but if (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

(...) Hi Stefan, don't get discouraged! I for one tried your converter (on a BBB part) here: (URL) I'd be interested to hear what the parts authors have to say, since we can directly compare the original DAT (converted with ?) and the "new" DAT (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

(...) Most of them have a comment indicating that they are for lsynth. Willy says a few of the parts to do not. I'll update them. (...) LS10.dat is not an electrical connector. Instead it is a small cross section of the electrical cable that is used (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

(...) working. I don't have time right now to investigate, but I'm surprised that it doesn't work, given that you have obviously generated (seemingly) correct optional lines, and LDView's curve smoothing only relies on those. One other thing I (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

(...) That sounds reasonable. We've done this before, with light.dat. Do the files have comments identifying what they are used for? If they're going into the official library, it'd nice to try and make them useable by any program doing the same (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

(...) I'd suggest that LS00.dat belongs in the PARTS directory because it's designed to be manipulated directly by the end user when creating a model file (much like a regular part, and unlike the files in the S subdir). If you put it in S, it'll be (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

(...) I also forgot to ask about some of the electrical parts.... Rotation sensor, light sensor, electrical cable ends officially have a small stub of rectangular cable coming out of them. This motivated me to modify these parts and use unofficial (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LSynth synthesis and needed sub-parts

Hi Steve, Chris, Orion, I'm bringing out a new version of LSynth. LSynth originally had a number of unofficial parts that it used to specify and synthesize flexible parts. Where possible I've eliminated the unoffical parts that could easily be (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

Hi Stefan I don't know anything about neither optional lines or the programs you're converting from, but from a parts reviewers perspective, I'd say that the teapot.ldr looks pretty good. I wouldn't worry so much about automatic subpart generation. (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Parts editing made easy (well, easier)

(I posted this to lugnet.cad toplevel, but considering the total lack of response, I decided to try it down here in .dev instead, where I got all that nice feedback for my last post.) After a couple of days of coding fun, I finally have the ASE to (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) Another thought, maybe sorting on the center of the axis-aligned bounding box for the line? For lines this would be the center of the line but would it be the center of the tri or quad? My visualzation skills are elluding me at the moment. (...) (20 years ago, 16-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

Update: the converter works and is posted to the top level newsgroup, "lugnet.cad". (URL) to come. We should perhaps move discussions back here to .dev for intricate details like feature requests and bug reports, but you can also send me e-mail, and (...) (20 years ago, 16-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Hi all, I have rewritten much of LSynth's code so that it is table driven. Currently the tables are coded in the program, but the important thing is that definitions of synthesized things are tabular. I've added a string type that uses your (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

I'm replying to my own post to keep a low profile for the time being. The project is not quite finished yet, but I have some good news I'd like to share with you: I now have a working file converter that takes ASE export input from 3dsmax and writes (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) IMO, it would be best with a dialog when sorting is requested. Remember all the settings from the last time sorting was used. (...) If there is no choice for the user, I'd say keep them at the top as you do now. A checkbox for removing them (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) It's hard to say what would be best. I personally think that having a dialog with all the sort options along with a quick way to apply the most recently used sort options might be the most flexible. That way, people who use the feature (...) (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) That's what I did in the map I did but if you can make them "sticky" meaning that they stay by some other line in the file (the one that they precede?) that might be interesting. Might not be useful though. (...) Those are good, Also if you (...) (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) Should this be a dialog that pops up when sorting in initiated, in the program options, or something else? The current method I'm using moves all type 0 lines to the top. Should I simply delete them instead? Also, what about sort order? Should (...) (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) centroid was my first thought but leave it to the user would be better w. (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Sorting by line

(...) I would tend to lean toward the centroid, but perhaps it would be best to be user configurable. --Travis (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Sorting by line

I'm implementing sorting in LDDP. Here's my question: Say I'm sorting by position using Y. When sorting linetypes 2-5 should I take the maximum Y, the minimum Y, the Y value of center of the triangle/quad/line, or something else entirely? -Orion (20 years ago, 14-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  L3PGen

Evening all. I have just made the first release of my L3PGen program available from: (URL) is designed as a more up to date and functional version of L3PAO. I plan to have it automatically read camera/light positions/etc direct from the model to (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) I just read this on /. This is great news. -Orion (20 years ago, 7-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

It looks like QT 4 will extend the GPL license to the Windows version. See here: (URL) sent this cad.dev, because this change could actually be useful to the developers.) --Travis Cobbs (20 years ago, 7-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: ldconfig.ldr and dithered colors

(...) They should be fall back on the 'default spec' -- that is, dither them; don't rely on their counterpart's definition. But that doesn't really (...) Hmm. The LGEO colors don't have edge colors, do they? So using K,J instead of J,K [if J,K isn't (...) (20 years ago, 7-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: ldconfig.ldr and dithered colors

(...) I'd say a blend of 0 and 1, basically just as if it's counterpart (272) wasn't defined in the ldconfig -Orion (20 years ago, 6-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  ldconfig.ldr and dithered colors

How is a renderer expected to handle dithered colors not mentioned explicitly in ldconfig.ldr ? The "LDraw File Format" specification says: "Also, colours 256 through 511 are dithered. So if you want to combine colours J and K, figure your colour (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) Such components are handled correctly by BFCFixer as "detached" submodels, and are oriented consistently with the rest of the polygons in the file as long as each independant submodel is sufficiently enclosed that a correct winding can be (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) Of course, it's that simple - thanks. Except some of the most basic LDraw parts (regular bricks) fail this test because the studs are "stuck on" a complete quad, rather than a surface peppered with stud-sized holes. Chris (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) Would you guys want a code repository for this? I have a SVN repo set up that I could easily add this as a project... Just LMK! (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) Ask, and ye shall receive. (URL) code is included (hopefully my crude hackings can be deciphered by others) as well as an executable jarfile in the dist/ subdirectory. Enjoy. If you find any major bugs, let me know, and I'll see what I can do, (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) Oh yeah! Let me at it. :) Steve (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) The way it's been done before is to draw rays from the origin outward. The first polygon a ray crosses is facing inward, and the last polygon a ray crosses would be facing outward. The ones in between *should* alternate facing in and out. Do (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) I think it can be done for simple objects, by choosing a random winding for 1 polygon, then processing all touching polygons so they're wound the same way (when looking from the same side - out ot in). This would produce a result that is (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BFCFixer

(...) I may be being dense here, but I dont understand how this can be done programatically. The point of BFC is to allow renderers to understand if a particular polygon is facing the camera or facing away from it. If all polygons are wound (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  BFCFixer

(...) Well, I had some spare time today... so I wrote one. It goes through a single LDraw part file and reorients all the polygons in it to have the same winding. It comprehends the notion of subfiles and already BFC compliant parts, and puts the (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) <snip> (...) Yes, I use MLCad in conjuction with LDDP/LDView for parts authoring. My method is to build the part in MLCad since it does all the rotaion calculations for me and then clean in up and fine tune ithe part in LDDP/LDView. As far as (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Hi Stefan: I'm chiming in late here, but I've crafted at least a few unofficial LDraw parts, and I thought I might offer some thoughts. My original composing tool of choice was the shareware text editor "PC-Write v4," which no longer appears (...) (20 years ago, 2-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Bricksaic version 0.1.0

(...) Xposted to cad.mlcad Perhaps Michael L. could speak up about whether MLCad reads that file, what the proper superset of colors ought to be and other topics. (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Bricksaic version 0.1.0

(...) Bricksaic is using the ldconfig.ldr in it's directory but the problem with the unused colors seems to be that MLcad does not recognize the following colors: Reddish_Brown, Stone_Gray, Dark_Stone_Gray, and Dark_Green. there may be more colors (...) (20 years ago, 1-Feb-05, to lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Bricksaic version 0.1.0

(...) Larry, I looked into what you said and it is correct: Bricksiac is using the ldconfig.ldr file in it's installed directory and MLDraw is using a file named the same ldconfig.ldr in it's installed dirctory. Then if one of the other has a (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Oh, yes. Definitely. (...) :) [snip a lot of stuff with which I agree] (...) nod, yes. That makes a lot of sense. (...) Very cool. :) Steve (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) no, he didn't. when I last met him at legoworld 03 he promised to do it but actually never did (as far as I remember at the time windz had an error quote of 2-3 percent - too much from his point of view :-(( w. actually I'll add the (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) It has been done before. Ildefonso Junior Zanette wrote a program called Windz, I use it all the time when I author parts. I can't remember if he publically released it. -Orion (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) It doesn't matter, actually. In one way or another, optional lines are required. In general, the "magic halo" effect only highlights _outside_ edges, but for a non-convex object, that won't necessarily be adqeuate. You can't even get away with (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) Ok, I drew a better picture (2 planes in space and a floating eye) and I'm starting to see. Maybe you're onto something. It takes 2 surface normals and one point on the edgeline to divide space into 4 quadrants. Then you only need to figure (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BMP2DAT question (problem?)  [DAT]

(...) If I understand the problem correctly, you have to scale down the output file. This can be easily done by pretanding that it is a sub-part Rename it to pattern.dat for example. Then create a new part that calls to that pattern with the line: 1 (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  BMP2DAT question (problem?)

Hi, I made some stickers for one of my trains. Now i'm making building instructions for this train and would like to add the stickers i made in the LDRAW design. Therefore i use the BMP2DAT utility found in LDAdd-On from Steven Bliss. This works (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) What you are describing is in fact a very old and basic edge rendering algorithm, which can be found in most detailed textbooks on computer graphics. CAD style and wire frame rendering went out of style during the 90's, so some recent "fancy (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

Thanks for your suggestions, the message I received is: "Yes, a good and useful translator would be appreciated." One brief comment on the issue of whether we want clean, compact and well structured files or not: of *course* we want clean files! A (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: l3p as open source

(...) L3P is available for the Mac and Linux.... Kevin (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) Actually, one can bring the number of transformations down to 1 for the entire _object_. Interesting what can happen when an idea sits in the brain and percolates for a couple of days. A new idea I had was to just transform the camera position (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Bricksaic version 0.1.0

(...) I ran into this too while betatesting. If you were using, for example, MLCad, it might be a problem with the color definitions that MLCad is aware of. Bricksiac is getting its color info from the ldconfig.ldr file in the install dir, I think. (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Is there someone interested in making icons for me

Hello, I'am working on LD4DModeler V2 (see (URL) i want to make it better in every aspect over V1 am looking for some artist who is willing to make some (mostly) 16x16 pixel icons for me. I think people who used V1 know why I rather don't do it (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))

(...) I knew I'd forgotten something in here! That function sounds interesting and could help a bit, but I'm not sure it's possible to turn an .inc around, but I'll look into it when I get the time. Thanks -NB (20 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) I don't see it. Are you sure this works in the perspective projection? Because I can't quite figure out what the magic view vector is in that case. I think you'd need to calculate one view vector for each edge endpoint, which brings the number (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

Okay.... having had a day to think about it and a night to sleep on it, I think I've figured out something.... But it would only work if the optional lines were incident to edges of polygons that are part of the object being drawn. I'm not sure if (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) I'm not 100% sure, but I believe most (if not all) of these outlining algorithms expect you to know the difference between the front faces and the back faces. It could be that they could be adopted for use when you don't have this information, (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) I'm not sure it's possible to implement for real without serious slowdowns. It might be possible to implement in a vertex program, but I haven't studied vertex programs, so I really don't know. (I'm pretty sure you can't throw out a vertex (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) The look and feel is one of the reasons why I rejected GTK (...) To me, compile times are a non issue. However the non-free nature of Qt leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and I not even a Open Source zealot). I can however develop a Qt based (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Experimenting with camera.dat and look_at.dat

(...) It would be nice if there were also a part used to store points. It would then be declared at the end of the .pov file as a uniquely named vector. (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) You're right about the performance hit. We've discussed this issue previously on lugnet, because quite a few of the renderers out there use opengl (ldview, leocad, ldglite, Mac Brick Cad...) Source code is available for all of these if you (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Rendering implementation details

(...) Someone once suggested to me (Dan from Microsoft maybe?) that given today graphics libraries, one could probably get away with ignoring op-lines altogether and use edge detection. This would present a potential problem since edge color is (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Rendering implementation details

I was envisioning how an LDraw renderer would be implemented if it were done with OpenGL, and I've arrived at some questions that I can't answer for myself. I'm particularly wondering about line type #5, the optional line. According to the LDraw (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Experimenting with camera.dat and look_at.dat  [DAT]

(...) I updated the camera.dat and look_at.dat so they don't need to be REMmed out: 0 ~Camera Position 0 Name: Camera.dat 0 Author: Tore Eriksson 0 Un-official part 2 24 -4 0 0 4 0 0 2 24 0 -4 0 0 4 0 2 24 0 0 -4 0 0 4 0 L3P IFNOTPOV 1 0 0 25 37 1 0 (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Experimenting with camera.dat and look_at.dat

(...) Yes,I am very well aware of the multitude of camera settings POV offers, and I haven't yet decided which way to go. The fastest way may be to run my own race using my own META statements: 0 LDA CAMERA.POSITION x y z 0 LDA CAMERA.LOOKAT x y z 0 (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

Personally I don't think using GTK under Windows is a good idea. I've worked with it before and even released an application that used it and you won't believe the amount of people that have trouble using a Windows application with controls that (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Experimenting with camera.dat and look_at.dat

(...) POV-Ray cameras can do alot. Besides just having a location and direction, you can have a zoom, focus, you can specify the direction in the form of "look at", and more. If you are going to have a camera.dat, you might consider having it be (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Experimenting with camera.dat and look_at.dat  [DAT]

I created these three files and ran them through L3P: - - - - - 0 Test 0 Name: test000.ldr 0 Author: Tore Eriksson 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0 1 0 1 0 0 700.dat 1 15 0 -24 100 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat 1 4 0 -48 100 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3001.dat 1 15 0 -72 100 (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) I'm sorry if I was unclear. Earlier in the thread I put forward Bens wheels as an example and continued that example here. I realise they would not be eligible for inclusion in the official Ldraw library, and would not submit them. This thread (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Maybe I'm missing the point here, but if this whole discussion is about Ben's excellent independently produced wheels, then whether or not they are modelled appropriately for inclusion in the official LDraw library is academic. The official (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) (I'm going to try not to sound like a jilted lover here, bear with me) If you're not already a parts author, you have to ask for permission to submit a part to the Parts Tracker. I've been told translated-from-other-CAD (i.e. messy) parts (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) No DAT part can provide a perfect render without using some substitutions - flat polygons just can't do perfect curved surfaces. But that's another issue. I have recently finished re-authoring Ben's wheels (URL) (waiting for his OK before I (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) I should probably find then for what is LDraw library aimed at. If it's something like as perfect as possible renders or some quick mockup prototyping. (...) Wouldn't it be possible to be the parts as accurate as possible and then (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Cross platform GUI

Well I'm kind of of pissed. ** begin rant ** Curious to find an acceptible substitute for Java, I was looking into cross platform GUI toolkits. GTK+ came to mind but alas no Mac support for the latest version. Then I thought of Qt. I visited the Qt (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Well, rendering time gets affected too, right? It's harder to build a model if it takes MLCad 20 seconds to redraw once... Oh, you mean for the rendering in POV when doing the animation? Well, file loading time, memory consumption, etc. etc. (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: l3p as open source

(...) A nice thing about open source would be that it would be possible for other people to work on ports to different architectures other than the microsoft-based platform. While emulators may exist to allow people to get by for the time being, (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) If for nothing else, to permit them to be used as the basis for the manual creation of similar parts, and abstraction into resuable sub-components. Not a strong reason, but worth considering. (...) To use just one example - the STUD primitive (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Yes, since it is text based. Also, a most new authors learn by examining the code. (...) Unneccessary memory usage and file size. (...) L3P (and other converters/viewers) detect these primitives and convert them to smooth objects (e.g. L3P (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))

(...) Why don't you create your main scene file that never changes and then just include the l3p output file into your scene file. I believe Lars is working on options that leave out the povray code that is required to be in the main file (like (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Why? Is the .DAT file supposed to be readable by humans? Why? ;) What's wrong with the larger number of polygons? What positives (from the side of the automated rendering process) does bring the existence of primitives? What's wrong with the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))

(...) Hi Kevin Thanks for your tip, but even though it seems to solve the amb/dif/reflection-problem, it unfortunately doesn't cover the need for special pov-ray objects like special lights, fog etc, as it's also based on L3p. Another thing I just (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))

(...) An alternative to open source is to post process l3p output to change things the way you want. This is what I do in LPub. L3P output is simple text and extremely consistant, making it easy to modfiy the contents. Kevin (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))

I don't know if this is besides the topic, but what I would really like was the ability to edit the "text" with the default settings l3p uses to create the pov-file (after all, it's a program that converts a textfile into another textfile). When (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)

(...) Tore, those are parts made on Stratasys and zCorp Rapid Prototyping machines. Rapid Prototyping is a way of using machines to take digital data and create models in an additive fashion, built up layer by layer. zCorp machines build the layers (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)

(...) Sorry Tore, I thought you read the article. Here's a brief summary: Mike Pique of Scripps Research Institute, Molecular Biology Department, did some LEGO bricks in the rapid prototype machines in his department. He plans on using them to teach (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)

(...) My eyes see the most beautiful things, but yet they don't understand. I looked for some text that explained who/where/how this lovely sight is made possible. Please let me have some more information! /Tore (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)

(...) Ahem... (URL) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) If you look up my posts on LUGNET, you'll find that's all I've really ever talked about here. (Damn, I'm boring. Well, OK, I also talk about trucks) You've touched on the critical issues I've found over the years: - LDR/DAT files created by (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)

(...) Like, wow! Triple wow! Fisrt LCAD, and now LCAM! I wonder how expesive that could be! And I wonder if they are willing to make some custom size Classic style windows and not only train wheels! And I wish that LEGO would offer the same service, (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?

(...) Hi Stefan, yes I believe there would be interest in such a utility. And yes, I believe most people still used text-based programs to edit parts. There are tools that make it a bit easier, like LDDesignPad, but it's still basically just a text (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Parts editing made easy, anyone?

Are parts authors really using text editors to compose new parts? I find it hard to understand that a text editor is still the tool of choice for this relatively complicated modeling task. I might be wrong and could need an update on what tools (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions)

(...) When you really get into POV-Ray, you have to deal with multiple files. If you ever include a graphic as a texture, or a height field, there is nothing you can do. You can't combine an image into a text file and have it work well. If you have (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact