 CAD / Development / 10077
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:28:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Darrell Urbien wrote:
- LDR/DAT files created by the available converters (I use 3DWin) are large and
messy (no cond. line/primitives, etc.) As converted, I have been unable to
submit any of my AutoCAD-3DS-generated parts to the Parts Tracker. Your
translator would have to be just as "clean" as the text-coded stuff.

Why? Is the .DAT file supposed to be readable by humans? Why? ;)

Yes, since it is text based.  Also, a most new authors learn by examining the
code.

What's wrong with the larger number of polygons?

Unneccessary memory usage and file size.

What positives (from the side of the automated rendering process) does
bring the existence of primitives?

L3P (and other converters/viewers) detect these primitives and convert them to
smooth objects (e.g. L3P detects a 4-4cyli primitive and turns it into a smooth
cylinder instead of a faceted cylinder)

What's wrong with the larger file size in the year 2005, when the
harddrives have disks 80+GBs, at least?
etc.

Nothing but download times and bandwidth concerns are the issue here.

-Orion