 CAD / Development / 10119
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:00:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Stefan Gustavson wrote: • <snip>
If there was a simple way to model a Lego element in some common 3D modeling
program, export to a file and have it automatically converted into a clean,
fully finished LDR part file, would it be useful to anyone?

  Are you talking about converting, say, a POV-Ray object into LDR format?  That
would be incredibly cool.  But if you're talking about writing the LDR file and
having it display in a 3D modeller in realtime, I've found it useful to use my
text editor or Excel in concert with Lars' L3Lab.  I have very limited
experience with MLCAD, but doesn't that program offer something similar?

Yes, I use MLCad in conjuction with LDDP/LDView for parts authoring.  My method
is to build the part in MLCad since it does all the rotaion calculations for me
and then clean in up and fine tune ithe part in LDDP/LDView.

As far as converters, the only one I've found to be even halfway decent is
STL2DAT and that still requires a significant amount of post processing.

-Orion