 CAD / Development / 10067
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:58:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Stefan Gustavson wrote:

If there was a simple way to model a Lego element in some common 3D modeling
program, export to a file and have it automatically converted into a clean,
fully finished LDR part file, would it be useful to anyone? If so, please tell
me and I will look closer into the problem. (My software, if I wrote it, would
be free and open source.)

  Stefan Gustavson (stegu@itn.liu.se) #2407

If you look up my posts on LUGNET, you'll find that's all I've really ever
talked about here. (Damn, I'm boring. Well, OK, I also talk about trucks)

You've touched on the critical issues I've found over the years:

- LDR/DAT files created by the available converters (I use 3DWin) are large and
messy (no cond. line/primitives, etc.) As converted, I have been unable to
submit any of my AutoCAD-3DS-generated parts to the Parts Tracker. Your
translator would have to be just as "clean" as the text-coded stuff.

- LEGO CAD people want free/open source.

- Any new modeler must be backwards compatible with LDraw library.

Tim Courtney (and others) have been working on a contest idea called LPrize
<www.lprize.com> If you were to create such a translator that met all three of
those limitations and submit that as an entry, you'd be my favorite to win! Even
if you don't want to enter, I know the product would be appreciated by many.

Darrell