 CAD / Development / 10071
Re: BigBen Bricks! (Was: Parts editing made easy...?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:

My eyes see the most beautiful things, but yet they don’t understand. I looked for some text that explained who/where/how this lovely sight is made possible. Please let me have some more information!

/Tore

Tore, those are parts made on Stratasys and zCorp Rapid Prototyping machines. Rapid Prototyping is a way of using machines to take digital data and create models in an additive fashion, built up layer by layer. zCorp machines build the layers by squirting a hardening agent into powdered resin. Stratasys machines build each layer out of molten plastic - in this cas ABS, just like LEGO.

Lots of AFOLs have been exploring RP, both in a grassroots kind of way (i.e. the water/foam/chocolate experiments, machines using RCXs etc.) and using modern production machines costing many thousands of dollars.

My own contribution to this is documented here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11772

These are parts created (in LDraw) by Tom Burger and then converted into RP parts using various machines.

There are lots of references to RP on LUGNET, mostly in the parts.custom group. There’s also discussion about pricing, online mold-makers, service bureaus, etc.

Ben, did you ever use RP for prototyping your parts before they went to the moldmaker? Or did you just use CNC? (or did you trust your SolidWorks file? :) )

Darrell