 CAD / 11772
11771  |  11773
Subject:
My Big Phat RP Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:10:48 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey all,

Just got my pix back from the Rapid Prototyping conference and thought I’d share..

Folder Pending Mod

Full credit has to go to:

Tom Burger (for designing the parts in the first place and making the DAT files freely available)

Greg Overkamp (for designing the original MOCs - though I must admit I had to do some creative substitution to make up for my small parts collection)

The great folks at the RP Technologies conference for making the parts, and of course..

The staff and students of Orange Coast College and DRAFT 159, who put up with all my LEGO foolishness!

The DAT files had to be tweaked a little - some of the part features were un-buildable. For example, there was no way to make the impossibly thin low profile tyre part and expect it to survive, so we just made it part of the wheel.

The machines I used were a 3DSystems InVision (this uses a photopolymer resin build material, encased in a wax support) and a Stratasys Dimension (ABS build, water-soluable support). I didn’t use a ZCorp machine even though one was available at the conference. The consensus of the Techs was it wouldn’t be able to hold the fine detail in the wheels, etc.

It was great fun to make these parts, and I learned a lot!

1- The conversion factor of 1 LDU = .4mm isn’t exactly applicable to RP LEGO. Some of my parts are loose, some are tight. We built in a little fudge factor in the STL files, but obviously it wasn’t enough for some machines/part features and too much for others. I knew LDraw was extremely simplified compared to real LEGO, but nothing like experiencing it!

I only got to make a few parts on each machine. There were lots of people at the conference, so I didn’t have time to tweak dimensions and run more.. I could probably get much better fits the second batch.

2- The 3DSystems machine could hold extremely fine detail - the spokes on part 46000 are tiny! I even modeled a little groove on the front face of that part, trying to represent the joint between the wheel and the tyre. It’s fractions of a mm in the CAD file, but it showed up nicely in the raw part. Of course painting to that groove was a challenge - one that I didn’t take up, LOL..

3- Don’t leave your photopolymer parts in the support cleaning bath for more than a few seconds at a time - they’ll melt! When I found out some of my parts were heat damaged, I was really bummed. The parts as they came out of the machine looked great. One in particular, a wing (part 42461), looked fantastic - until we broke it trying to get the wax supports off. It was repaired and broken several more times before I even got a chance to photograph it, but I managed to cobble it back together with superglue. Of course the wing angle got screwed up in the process, but what are you gonna do? I broke one of the wheels trying to get it onto an axle too..Grrr.

4-The Stratasys Dimension rocks! The ABS is very durable and LEGO-like. I’d really like to try some of the wheels in that machine. The machine we have at OCC uses solid “breakaway” support material - in other words you have to get in there with tools and chip your part out of it. Not fun. The Dimension cleans up in a little whirlpool bath. Much nicer.

5- I didn’t really have time to finish the parts properly - you can still see a lot of “step-over” (the edges of the layers of material are apparent). That could’ve easily been sanded smooth. I didn’t do any sanding or finishing on the bodykit parts at all, though actually I think they look more realistic in white!

I did decide to paint the broken wing since it was so hideously ugly from the repairs. I painted the wheels just because they looked funny in translucent resin, but they probably deserved to be sanded and clearcoated.. In the pic in the folder that shows the four wheels you see: two painted very basically (front and rear views), the broken one (subsequently painted black), and a completely raw part.

Hope you enjoy the parts and mocs - I know my students will really get a kick out of them. I brought the parts to SIGGRAPH and they seemed to go over well, though Tim Courtney trumped me with about 30 beautiful Stratasys and ZCorp parts on display... Punk! :)

I wish I could go to BrickFest, but I’m seriously conferenced-out. Plus school is starting up soon! I might be able to make NWBrick Con - I should have more stuff printed by then too.

PLMKWYT

Darrell