 CAD / Development / 10082
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:28:37 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:
What's wrong with the larger number of polygons?
Unneccessary memory usage and file size.

I should probably find then for what is LDraw library aimed at. If it's
something like as perfect as possible renders or some quick mockup
prototyping.

L3P (and other converters/viewers) detect these primitives and convert them to
smooth objects (e.g. L3P detects a 4-4cyli primitive and turns it into a smooth
cylinder instead of a faceted cylinder)

Wouldn't it be possible to be the parts as accurate as possible and then
'primitivize' them a bit for the draft renders or owners of legacy hardware?

I simply don't think that something like LGEO is a good idea, but IMO it
was driven by the 'unneccessary' simpleness of the .DAT parts.

So basically the question stands: I somebody submits .DAT file with,
say, 3000 lines, without any special ldraw features, which provides
_perfect_ render - would it be accepted (on better-than-nothing policy)
or denied (on purity-or-nothing polity)?

Jindroush