 CAD / Development / 10084
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:26:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jindrich Kubec wrote:

So basically the question stands: I somebody submits .DAT file with,
say, 3000 lines, without any special ldraw features, which provides
_perfect_ render - would it be accepted (on better-than-nothing policy)
or denied (on purity-or-nothing polity)?

Jindroush

(I'm going to try not to sound like a jilted lover here, bear with me)

If you're not already a parts author, you have to ask for permission to submit a
part to the Parts Tracker. I've been told translated-from-other-CAD (i.e. messy)
parts won't be accepted. I understand the reasons - unless someone volunteers to
clean up the parts they will just draw negative comments from reviewers and may
be counter-productive - but it was kind of disheartening. I turned around and
dragged my rejected parts home, in the rain..  :)

Now this doesn't take into account how much demand there is for the part. For
something like BBB wheels, obviously there's some demand from the LDraw
community, and if a "real" parts author decides to fix and submit it, there you
go. If you're already an author, I suppose you could just submit the part and
see what happens.

Otherwise - a nice translator would be VERY appreciated. (picturing a fuzzy
movie scene where CAD and LDraw run across a flowery field and embrace each
other while cheesy music plays)

Darrell