 CAD / Development / 10142
Re: Parts editing made easy, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:28:52 GMT

I'm replying to my own post to keep a low profile for
the time being. The project is not quite finished yet,
but I have some good news I'd like to share with you:

I now have a working file converter that takes ASE export
input from 3dsmax and writes LDR output with proper handling
of quads, and fully automatic and correct generation of
conditional lines.

Almost any other 3D mesh format would do for the input, but
I have access to 3dsmax and use it a lot, so for testing I
picked its native and very simple ASE export format.
I can probably find the time to add support for some other
popular file formats later, like Lightwave LWO and Alias OBJ.
I actually have both LightWave and Maya at work for testing,
I just need to find some documentation and read it.

The algorithm was actually simpler than I thought, it just
took some thinking to do it right. For detailed control over
where conditional lines and unconditional lines end up, the
modeling in 3dsmax needs to be performed with proper attention
to smoothing groups, but this is a requirement for any polygon
modeling task, and any good 3D modeling software will give you
good support for that. There is no extra work involved that is
peculiar to LDR modeling, you just need a nice and clean 3D mesh
to get a nice and clean LDR file.

I'll finish up the last few lines of code this week, add
some error checking, test it properly for more input files
and release it soon, probably some time this weekend.
(I might even finish it tonight, but I won't promise anything.)

I currently do not check for subparts replacements like
cylinders or studs, so it's not a finished general export
tool that meets all part authoring requirements, at least
not yet, but it works.

  Stefan Gustavson