 CAD / Development / 10141
Re: Sorting by line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:57:29 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:

Should this be a dialog that pops up when sorting in initiated, in
the program options, or something else?

IMO, it would be best with a dialog when sorting is requested. Remember all
the settings from the last time sorting was used.

The current method I'm using moves all type 0 lines to the top.
Should I simply delete them instead?

If there is no choice for the user, I'd say keep them at the top as you do
now. A checkbox for removing them could be in the dialog.

Also, what about sort order?  Should I have 3 commands (Sort by X,
Sort by Y, Sort by Z) or something else?

Depends on the reason for sorting, I think.

Maybe you could make it multi pass, so the user selects "Primary on X,
secondary on Y, tertiary on Color" or whatever options you'd like to include
(just like mail in Outlook).

In BlockCAD where I have to sort the parts from (back to front, left to
right, bottom to top) to get the rendering (more or less) correct, I sort on
the bounding boxes, ie. Low(x) on partA is compared to High(x) on partB etc,
to find out which part is 'in front' of the other.

That's more or less the Painter's Algorithm, but performed on bounding boxes
instead of polygons. This doesn't work perfectly when parts can overlap or
be inside each other, but that's not a big problem for BC.

The source (Delphi) is available from the web page (see sig), but as BC
doesn't implement a camera, just keeps track of a "viewing octant", it may
be less useful for you...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm