 CAD / Development / 10139
Re: Sorting by line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:59:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I'm implementing sorting in LDDP.  Here's my question:

Say I'm sorting by position using Y.  When sorting linetypes 2-5 should I take
the maximum Y, the minimum Y, the Y value of center of the triangle/quad/line,
or something else entirely?

I would tend to lean toward the centroid, but perhaps it would be best to be
user configurable.

centroid was my first thought but leave it to the user would be better

Should this be a dialog that pops up when sorting in initiated, in the program
options, or something else?

The current method I'm using moves all type 0 lines to the top.  Should I simply
delete them instead?

That's what I did in the map I did but if you can make them "sticky" meaning
that they stay by some other line in the file (the one that they precede?) that
might be interesting. Might not be useful though.

Also, what about sort order?  Should I have 3 commands (Sort by X, Sort by Y,
Sort by Z) or something else?

Those are good, Also if you can sort against an arbitrary plane/normal vector
that would be nice. The map I wrote sorts along a vector normal to a plane that
is "tilted up" from the back corner (in front view), so that the parts are
roughly in the order you'd want them in if you were building up instructions for
a large building with stuff in back getting higher faster than stuff in front. I
had to do more twiddling in MLCAD but that was a rough sort that helped a lot.