 CAD / Development / 10073
Re: l3p as open source (was: Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Niels Bugge wrote:
I don't know if this is besides the topic, but what I would really like was the
ability to edit the "text" with the default settings l3p uses to create the
pov-file (after all, it's a program that converts a textfile into another
textfile).

When working with larger scenes you where you work parallel with both the ldraw
editor and pov-ray settings, it's really time consuming to, say, change the
image format to 1/1 (instead of 4/3), ambience, and ESPECIALLY light settings
(when you whish to use anything else than a pointlight) after EVERY change in
the ldraw file.

Preferably an option to choose between settings 00-99 so you could make
different settings for different projects and choose between them:

For instance I'm planning to make a "studio" scene for renderings of mocs with
some pov-ray objects like special lights and a curved background. Here it would
be nice to have a special setting in l3p where the curved background and lights
always followed the moc regardles of it's size and where you look at it from.

----------------------

To sum it up, it would be very nice to have l3p more "open source", so that
everyone could make new and improved versions of the settings, when their needs
change or as pov ray develops: For instance it would be nice to root out all
that pre pov 3.1 back compatibility to speed things up.

I don't know how difficult this would be to make, but if you somehow
externalized the settings into a textfile (no. 00) in a folder, and made a new
command line option where you could choose between settings 00-99.

Anyways Lars, thanks for making the program in the first place.

An alternative to open source is to post process l3p output to change things the
way you want.  This is what I do in LPub.  L3P output is simple text and
extremely consistant, making it easy to modfiy the contents.

Kevin