 CAD / Development / 10063
Re: Anatomy of a POV file (e.g. L3P suggestions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:39:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Horvath wrote:
It would be nice if L3P could split any/all of the top-level
categories (as well
as sub-models) into separate *.inc files, instead of having them all
in the
*.pov file. I read that you are going to implement some of what I'm
suggesting
in the next release.

-Michael

Optional, yes that would be nice. But I also see the strength in the
fact that
all data needed are gathered in the same file. I have downloaded so
many
pov-files just to discover that they have references to inc files I
fail to find
on the net.

When you really get into POV-Ray, you have to deal with multiple files.
  If you ever include a graphic as a texture, or a height field, there
is nothing you can do.  You can't combine an image into a text file and
have it work well.  If you have used Maya, you just don't have a
handful of files, you have a whole project folder with tons and tons of
stuff.  Same goes for any media work.  Working with any non-linear
video editor you work with a bin full of media files, movie clips,
still images, and sound clips.  Even PowerPoint presentations with
included media files have to deal with this.

I know Ldraw puts you into the frame of mind of using one file, but
with POV-Ray you just can't do it.  Ldraw really isn't one file either,
you have the entire Ldraw folder with parts and then primitives.
Probably what you are use to is having the organized directory
structure that is controlled by the ldraw.org group, where pov-ray has
no real "install location", and so things are kinda scattered all over.
  I know I certainly have that problem just between my laptop and my
desktop.  Every time I move a file from one to the other, I run into
path issues.

James