 CAD / Development / 10158
Re: Animation Precision
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:54:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
Hello,

I've been working on LD4DModeler 2 (on paper) tonight and i have a
question regarding precision.

The question is what is 'normal' to use for the amount of decimals that
can be set by user interface controls.

I was thinking 2 myself but if there is a reason to support more or less
I'm open to suggestions.

I think 2 is sufficient, but 3 "feels" safer.

Once there was an extreme case where 3 wasn't enough. I had to rotate train
tracks and a train from a radius of... I think it was 750, 800, and 850 LDU.
Using 3 decimals on the sin and cos values and multiply the rounding errors with
800, well that did show. But on minifig legs and vehicle parts , I doubt that
using 2 decimals normally makes visible rounding errors.

/Tore