 Administrative / General / 1042
Re: "the community"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:48:02 GMT

[Crossposted from lugnet.off-topic.debate with followups set to
lugnet.admin.general]

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, galliard@shades-of-night.com (James Brown)
writes:
[...]
As far as what I consider to be the "community" it might help if I refered to
it as "the fans of Lego who are on-line and regularly take part in either RTL
or Lugnet, or both."  but community is a lot easier to say.
[...]

Ultimately, that's what LUGNET is designed to evolve into -- so that you
wouldn't have to say RTL/LUGNET or LUGNET/RTL or "all AFOLs online," etc.
But that may take 2-5 years.

I think the French newsgroup fr.rec.jeux.lego is going to pass.  When it was
being discussed in fr.usenet.forums.evolution last month, the CFD received
quite a bit of support.

If fr.rec.jeux.lego becomes a reality, it will mean that there are two
active (and one obsolete) LEGO newsgroups on Usenet.  I don't know what kind
of nickname fr.rec.jeux.lego will have, but it might be RJL or FRJL.

Since the most fundamental purpose of LUGNET is to unify LEGO fans online,
it seems inevitable that someday, somehow, RTL and RJL ought to be hosted
here on lugnet.com to help keep the overall online LEGO fan community from
drifting further apart, if not in terms of direct cross-participation, at
least in terms of reading what other people are writing.  (And ATL, if
hosted here, would have to be read-only, since it's obsolete.)

However, I don't think it would be a good idea to simply host these three
Usenet groups under their actual names.  If that happened, the list of
newsgroups on this server would look like this:

   alt.toys.lego
   fr.rec.jeux.lego
        :
   (a bazillion lugnet.* groups)
        :
   rec.toys.lego

and that bothers me a lot -- especially with ATL (the most useless group) at
the top.  Plus, there are no obvious URLs for these on the www.lugnet.com
website in the upcoming reorganization.

So two options come to mind, one bad and one good:

1.  Host the Usenet groups on a separate NNTP port.  This would keep things
    clear, but probably not do much to help keep things tightly knit,
    because serving news on a separate NNTP port is technically serving it
    from a different server.  (A "server" is actually software in this case,
    not a machine.  One machine can run hundreds of servers.)

2.  Host the Usenet groups in a mapped location of the lugnet.* ng
    hierarchy, for example:

       lugnet.usenet.alt.toys.lego
       lugnet.usenet.fr.rec.jeux.lego
       lugnet.usenet.rec.toys.lego

The second option would imply meaningful URLs on the webserver:

   http://www.lugnet.com/usenet/alt/toys/lego/
   http://www.lugnet.com/usenet/fr/rec/jeux/lego/
   http://www.lugnet.com/usenet/rec/toys/lego/

which would be easily findable from the upcoming new Yahoo-style homepage.

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming out loud here...

--Todd