 General / 5215
  take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Here's an idea I've been itching to try out for about 4 years... I've got a box of several hundred (or maybe 1000 or more, I haven't counted) LEGO elements that I know I'll never use. These come from buying up large collections at garage sales or (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37802182.34769436@l...et.com>... (...) $5 (...) Cool. I'm sure I would find stuff to trade with such a box. I know I have bits and pieces not worth trying to auction off. Would a reasonable amount fit in the fixed rate (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Oh sure, come up with this right after I mailed a box of wheels away. :') Sounds like a great idea. Here's another - the route of the box(es) could be arranged so that the next recipient would have a different LEGO interest: castle would send (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) now.. now.. what's wrong with blue 1x1? I like 'em... (in fact, I like all of the 1x1s... haven't found a way to make good use of them, but they are cool.. ) I must have a couple thousands of yellow, white, blue and red 1x1s... :-) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Hey, maybe that's not a danger but a feature... :-) If it ever wound up that way, then it probably served its purpose, assuming that no one person abused it by taking all the good stuff and plunking down blue 1x1's in place. Anyhow, it sure (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <37802182.34769436@l...et.com>... (...) Of course it is..:-) Enlarging the project to contain other countries would be much better, although the risk would be higher considering very different kinds of postal services (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) This sounds like an excellent idea. A couple more suggestions: 1) You might want to limit the number of pieces that could be exchanged per person (say 10-20 at most, I don't know)... and encourage people to input a variety of pieces rather (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) How about in order to keep the box from going to blue 1x1's, people have to put in what they take out, like if they take out a purple 1x19 plate, they have to put in another type of plate, and if they take a Timmy, they have to put in another (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Count me in. At last, a home for all those worthless space and castle pieces! I need relief on the one week deadline though as I usually only mail things on weekends. Todd Lehman wrote: <snip, unlike just about everyone else who quoted the whole (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) It would probably both take too long and be too expensive to send the box from country to county around the world. If this idea seems to be working out, maybe others will start a box to send around another country(1). Also, a particular (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Yeah, that's a great way of wording it! That's perfectly in line with the idea behind it -- to keep a good fun mix going, so it doesn't get so boring that it peters out. (...) Someone and his child in California already called "first dibs" -- (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes: <cool idea> Ditto's to the various 'count me in's! Heck, I could bounce it around my basement and catch 6 different people's collections! <grin>(1) James (URL) This is what happens when you're the only maniac (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <3780C693.F2792496@v...er.net>... (...) There would be another advantage of using the fixed rate priority envelope. I assume that if you get one of these from the post office, and $3.20 in stamps, you can just drop (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Greg Majewski wrote (...) i don't want, and getting space engine pieces back out of the box wouldn't help if I wanted plates. Maybe a more general rule like just try to keep a good fun mix going would be appropriate. Patricia Schempp (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I'd have to say count me in! I've got a bunch of stuff here I'll probably never use that I could toss in for a few pieces... Since someone's got First dibs, can I have 2nd :) I haven't heard anyone ask yet!! I understand what you mean though Todd.. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Frank Filz wrote in message ... (...) I think you are supposed to take any parcel over 4 ounces to the post office in person for security reasons. Not sure how stern they are about that, but your plan would probably work for those who mail stuff (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) engine pieces (...) help if (...) fun mix (...) I have to agree with Greg on this one. I have an odd collection of castle and space pieces that are no interest to me which I would gladly swap for any town parts. While some parts of no value (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Hey, could you make this exciting for those of us without a warehouse full of bricks to contribute? (Each and every one of my bricks is a treasure in its own special way, and I'm unwilling to part with any of them right now.) So how about having (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Mike Walsh wrote (...) I would call "fun". Patricia Schempp (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Ben Roller wrote in message <3780d6d3.174634513@...et.com>... (...) different (...) Thanks for the nice recommendation, but what if I'm the only online AFOL from my very own country?..:-) Selçuk (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I'd do it. Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:59:42 GMT, Patricia Schempp uttered the following profundities... (...) A webpage or newsgroup log, to perhaps keep it honest. I'd put in a silver brick so that someone in Europe who might not have had a chance for one would. (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I'd love to do this. I'd throw in extra pieces, too... Some pieces are simply 'worth' more to me than others. I like the no 1x or 2x bricks rule... but I would also suggest we limit the number of Timmy's that any one person can contribute to one. -- (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I don't know, if I had a boatload of boat plates, I might play with making a hull from them (one could also slightly change the lines of a boat by alternating between boat bow bricks and plates). Also 1x10 or longer and 2x8 or longer are (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Hey how about those of us who identifiy with a warehouse?! Count me in! I'm now working on my 3rd 20 pound box of mish-mash miscellaneous parts that I'll never use. Can I cheat and load up the box going out? I know I've got some stuff other (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Cheater cheater, he put too much neat stuff in! Cheat all you want in this way Gary... Of course you could always start a box or two yourself, or be one of the points where the box splits. I think I've come up with a good place to put my (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) i aggree that rare colors such as green,brown,light blue,orange of basic bricks etc be allowed (25 years ago, 6-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Then you could just post to yourself. And then mail the box back to yourself. Act surprised when you get it. Be careful though, it might lead to MPD.(1) -- Terry K -- 1. Not Multi-Part Dat, but Multiple Personality Disorder. (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Terry K wrote in message <3782fabd.15877393@l...et.com>... (...) yourself. (...) LOL..:-) Selçuk (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I think it's important to get the benefit of the strong USPS Priority Mail boxes, which are built-in to the cost of shipping. Even without, it almost never makes sense to mail LEGO non-Priority unless it's a very small (say, 10-oz. or less) (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Hm, an idea which would really get things going quick, everyone who wants to play in the game, either put a box of X pieces together, or buy a set off the shelf with that many pieces or more (maybe require 10% more or so since there will be (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Very cool! There has been a fair amount of discussion regarding rules for this, but I bet that if it just started, people would keep it going well. I think the idea of a newsgroup devoted to discussion of these boxes is a good idea too. What (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

As I said in a spawned thread.. with some planning I can get a box moved from one region of the country to another for nothing. If it's small enough. Chris, where are you, I am going to be in Springfield MO for a few hours on Monday. (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

Richard Dee wrote in message ... (...) What if the box was occassionally "hand carried" to Europe by one of the LUGNET faithful that is going across. It could be "delivered" to a primary contact who would then pick up the responsibility to The (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Like Larry, I may be able to offer courier services as well. However, bringing a box to me at an airport may be more hassle than it's worth if it only costs $3.30 to send it priority mail. Especially in a place like Chicago where it would probably (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Zoinks! I just dug the box out of the closet, and it's more than I'd remembered. There's 16 pounds of LEGO semi-sorted into about two or three dozen ZipLoc bags of varying sizes (from a pint up through two-gallon). At first blush, this (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Hehheh... OK, maybe I'll mix up _some_ of it, if it's quick & easy. There's a bag of a couple dozen white & red classic space minifigs, for example -- those could happily be scattered among different bags; those came in zillions of different (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Aw...please can you mix it up? you don't have to sort. how hard would it be to mix it up randomly? Just dump the pieces on the floor and go nuts! :) I'm jealous. I'd love to mix that many pieces up and undo all the stress of sorting. Oh well. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Ok, put me in the queue (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Whoa, you have 70s red windows that you consider unusuable??? Yeesh, auction them off. I pay top dollar for those. Sure, put some into the box, yes, but if you have a whole gallon ziplock of red windows that's worth several hundred dollars to me, (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Yeah, trees. Trees are good. I want in on that. (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) For the windows, you should just skip the general-circulation box, and send them directly to Gary Istok. For other bags, you might mix them by cutting (so to speak) the bags in half, and mixing the half-lots in with other half-lots. That would (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I'd have to agree with both of these. I'd love to get my hands on a bunch of classic windows, don't know if I value them as much as Larry and Garry though, so maybe I should vote for keeping them in a trade bag, if there is a rule you can't (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Completely cool idea! Sign me up. I have to weigh in on this sorted bags issue however. I too would love to acquire large quantities of classic windows and other specific pieces. But if when the boxes start out all of the windows are in box A and (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

What Doug said... either put the windows up for auction, they are highly prized by large numbers, or spread them around to lots of boxes, or just sell them outright to me. I promise to pay a lot, then share with other townies for what I paid. :-) I (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) If the trees bag is that big why not split it in 3 or 4 so many guy can have a share. Martin <snip a lot> (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I'm sure the odds would be zero. Anyone who wants any old windows would want all the old windows. (...) I don't want it on my conscience to have separated a small collection of old classic windows. If someone else wants to do that, fine by me. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) <snip> (...) does it mean we have to take number? I'm in for the trees Martin <snip> (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Sure. I can get several boxes started in various directions easily. I'll be in boston the week of the 19th and I'll even make an exception to my "no check" rule, put all the bits in my carryon, and check my clothes (which can't get hurt as (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I don't know how I'm going to handle this yet. I never expected this much demand/enthusiasm about all the stuff. Maybe I'll just ship the whole lot off to Larry (if he wants) and he can spread the wealth around. I dunno. Maybe when Suzanne (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I think your discovering the box to be a) much larger and b) more sorted than you originally thought has affected the whole concept in a major way. What started as a mish-mash of maybe 1000 random elements from who-knows- what themes has (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Like I said earlier, Suzanne is away at a conference, and she has the camera with her. I want to upload some quick photos of these bags of pieces before taking names on who to start them off with. Suzanne might also want to pick out a couple (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Why not just scoop a handful out of each bag and get the ball rolling? (...) That would solve the windows issue, I guess. (...) So don't use them, use other stuff. (...) What is the role that these pictures will play? What do they matter? How (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Ahh, that would be splendid. We could just meet for suds or pizza or food or coffee somewhere and it that could be end of it from my p.o.v. :) --Todd (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Sounds like a plan, Stan. I fly in Sunday, out Friday bound for MPLS. I even promise not to take too many of the windows or trees. Hm... gotta plan what to bring for input fodder. A couple Trans yellow 1x4x3 thinwalls, a couple white train (...) (25 years ago, 8-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Yeah, speaking as a Castle-head, I'd much rather have a bag of old Castle parts. (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

They aren't the only ones that are salivating... Can I have the box next??? Larry on your way to MPLS make a stop in Milw please???? it's on the way!! Honest :) or just drop it out the window as you go over?? I'd even be nice and toss in a couple of (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I agree with Doug. I really like the idea of a half dozen or so "Mystery Boxes" circulating among the LUGNETeers... kind of like getting a lot of quality garage sale stuff to pick through. If it turns into the kind of thing where a TOWNie is (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Larry, I have a more novel idea: how about starting the box out with people who have nobody to trade with. Out here in Fresno, it is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to drive to the nearest other AFOL. No Lego in garage sales, swap meets or antique stores. My (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I'm interesting in seeing what's available. Am I going up against the "heavy hitters" here? :-) I won't want much (cuz I can't buy much ATM) (...) lol Nice SIG! It's you. -Tom McD. when replying, all spamcake used in the making of "The Phantom (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Can this project have a newsgroup? Can boxes that people send out have a serial number? Can we post to this hypothetical ng like subj= "123: Columbia MO" and text can indicate what ever I want? This could spawn off a whole sub-hobby. (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) How about one down here in the south east (NC, VA, etc)? (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mi.grr, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

There is talk of spawning a whole newsgroup for this activity, which I think would be swell. Till then, lets coordinate in Lugnet.general Looks like I will be bringing the whole lot back with me from Boston, unless there is a change in circumstance. (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mi.grr, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Hehe, I'd DRIVE to Michigan to get the box after you. :) I too would love to try this out. I too have a BUNCH of unwanted pieces, from tires and windshields to minifigs and accessories. Rob +---...---+ | Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com | | (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Yep, I agree with Larry. I'd buy them too. If I got the travelling box with them in it, I'd probably end up taking lots of them, and in my guilt/shame I'd replace them with those highly desireable 2x2 regular inverse slope outside corner bricks (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Steve has the right idea, I would probably replace them with tiles, arches, some steep sloped bricks, the 2x2 regular inverse sloped corner bricks, etc. Nothing shakes the rare stuff out of my inventory faster than classic windows. No wait (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Gee Larry, doesn't Northwest usually fly from Boston thru their major hub - Detroit Metro Airport .... the one I drive past every day (hint hint) on my way to Ann Arbor. (heh-heh - just kidding). Gary Istok (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I LOVE boxtrot. Let's get a group asap as the posts are spread all over... Forget the mail part as it's not a given that boxes will move via mail. Actually it's not a given that the pieces will move in boxes. So I vote for mixorama. or boxtrot, what (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Sure, I don't see why not -- if there's enthusiasm toward it and if a sensible name could be picked. It certainly belongs in the .market.* hierarchy as it's purely an aftermarket person(s)-to-person(s) trading thing. I'll toss out a few random (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) lol (...) .market.mix-o-rama (variation, just because I like the hyphenated look with orama :) (...) .market.trailmix (sounds copyrighted though..) .market.taplap (take a piece leave a piece) .market.piecemail .market.bricksalad (...) Maybe (...) (25 years ago, 9-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I'm partial to .market.boxtrot it's in a box.. and it's trotting all over the place.. for some reason it just fits in my mind... my 2nd vote would be for travelmix... mailathon doesn't bring anything to mind.. mailswap and mailtrade just seem to (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Boxtrot gets my vote. Julie (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Oh-Oh kiss me...er pick me! (Been listening to Sixpence None the Richer too much!) Speaking of kissing, I just returned from Conan's wedding, and apart from Conan almost setting the Chapel on fire, all went well. The ring bearer brought the ring (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Heh, I doubt I qualify as a heavy hitter. I never pay retail and I almost never pay normal auction prices for old stuff. I just seem to find deals, which is a good thing, because otherwise I would never buy anything, being a cheap bas****. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) recyclebin swapbox wastebasket :-) I wish I was living in the US. Selçuk (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I love the idea. Sounds great. But when a box gets forked, will we be wading through a lot of posts of people asking "where's the forking box?!" It's late, I better go to bed. :-) -- Terry K -- (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

The boxtrot is okay, but somtimes I have trouble figuring out the beat;-) All seriousness aside, I like mix-O-rama, but capitalizing the "O":-) -John (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) LOL I love this on three different levels 1 - it sounds like a venereal disease/urinary infection (sorry, couldn't resists) 2 - box trot 3 - boxed rot Yep, this one gets my vote (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I like .market.boxtrot too because it conveys what's going on more accurately than most of the other names. But something more generic might fit in better. Note that all of the other .market names -- .auction, .buy-sell-trade, .shipping, (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Not terribly expensive, but it can get comparitively expensive within some countries, where cost of living is higher. The US-Europe-US hand-off is a good idea, though. (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I hear you, but don't forget that sometimes the best names are thought of first, and that we have to decide how much analysis the name actually deserves! :-) Me, I don't think the name is nearly as important as the process, which isn't under (...) (25 years ago, 10-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Let's make sure that it's not some twisted slang word for a lap dance or something like that first. --Todd p.s. Here's what Merriam-Webster online <www.m-w.com> says for "trot": Main Entry: 1 trot Pronunciation: 'trät Function: noun Etymology: (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) As in "I'm suffering from boxtrots"? eeewwww! That's just as bad as the example of what Ed said it sounded like to him. I'm liking it less and less, too many gross images. Julie (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

How about "bootybox"? That's slang free AFAIK;-) Other ideas: .Grabbin .Brickvegnugen .Fahrvegbricken .BrickcitementBox .Treasure-Drove Traveling Mystery Brick Box (.TMBB) SpamcakeTheater2001: A Brick Odessey (.ST2K+1) .LSB (LUGNET Swapbox) (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Sorry my comments are a little late on this subject. Every hotel in Europe provides it on unique set of issues when trying to get online. It seems like everytime I figure out the dialing sequence it is time to change hotels again. Anyway, my (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Howabout - The Block Exchange (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I am not real good at brainstorming but I just thought of a couple. How about... .lugbox .lugbricks .lugabs I just thought that the box would be "lugged" around quite a bit and this is "Lugnet". Anyway this is my first post to this string but I have (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

Richard Dee wrote in message ... (...) primary (...) could (...) is (...) If we can get this project off the ground I will volunteer to courier it to Europe on it's first journey. I will be going back to Stockholm again at the end of August. Right (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.general)

John Neal wrote in message <378836C1.341000B9@u...st.net>... (...) Well, booty isn't totally slang free. Shaking your booty has nothing to do with trying determine whether that package under the Christmas tree is the latest town junior set, or a (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) I certainly don't have any issues if that were the case. :-) But I see where others have found other pejorative connotations, so we can skip that one if you want. I'm about to go very offline for a few days, sales trip, so... just pick (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

<3787F377.7A1259ED@mc.net> <378836C1.341000B9@uswest.net> <FEpK0s.GHI@lugnet.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Here's a name for consideration: .travelingbob (.travelingbobs?) bob = box of bricks I (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I love krenZILLA's idea of personalizing it by naming it Bob. And I like Ben's lug/Lugnet play, too. I vote for "LugBob" -John dkrenz wrote:bob = box of bricks (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Here's a cool (IMHO), english word that may apply and satisfies the need for a pun: bricolage Main Entry: bri·co·lage Pronunciation: "brE-kO-'läzh, "bri- Function: noun Etymology: French, from bricoler to putter about Date: 1966 : construction or (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) OK, all of those were too cute or trite... But I'm excited now -- I just thought of a not-too-obscure word whose second meaning (according to Merriam-Webster) goes: a mixture of diverse elements and which also evokes visions of a related word (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Second word is 'jumble'. 2222222fffaf33aweeee Hello, cat on the keyboard. (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

And did you want to tell us what this wonderful word IS?? :-) (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

If it's the word I found, it was pretty obscure to me. But it has some not-at-all-obscure negative variants. Steve (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) jumble & jambalaya --Todd From www.m-w.com... ---...--- Main Entry: jam·ba·laya Pronunciation: "j&m-b&-'lI-& Function: noun Etymology: Louisiana French, from Provençal jambalaia Date: 1872 1 : rice cooked usually with ham, sausage, chicken, (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) Any objections then to lugnet.market.jambalaya ? It would sort in the raw newsgroups list like so: lugnet.market.auction lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade lugnet.market.jambalaya lugnet.market.shipping lugnet.market.shopping lugnet.market.theory (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I just wanted it created. Agree it's important the name have meaning but no longer care specifically. (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

(...) OK, that wasn't the word I had come across (good thing, too!). Steve (25 years ago, 16-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

Add me to the queue. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I tend to agree with Mike on this - I do no trading except through online contacts. And my needs are specific to vehicle parts, so I would hardly dent the boags/boxes, while I could probably add some decent stuff that is of no use to me. (...) -- | (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

I just had a ring of the doorbell and found a U.S. priority mail box sitting on the front step. At first, after giving it a shake, heard the familiar sound of a lego rattle, and thought "I didn't order anything in the last week from an auction". (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO

For closure. It was me. I mailed this box to Phil. Burlington is where Novera HQ is and that is where I happened to be at the time. Phil now knows what is going on and has posted the appropriate messages to lugnet.market.jambalaya. I have pointed (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jul-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.jambalaya)