 General / 5295
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:56:07 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Mike Walsh wrote:

Greg
citrusx__@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/

I think that might defeat the purpose of the box.  I might have space • engine pieces
i don't want, and getting space engine pieces back out of the box wouldn't • help if
I wanted plates.  Maybe a more general rule like just try to keep a good • fun mix
going would be appropriate.

I have to agree with Greg on this one.  I have an odd collection of castle
and space pieces that are no interest to me which I would gladly swap for
any town parts.  While some parts of no value they are extremely valuable to
other collectors and I think that was the point that Todd was originally
trying to make.

I think a simple rule to keep the box interesting would not to allow any
non-decorated regular 1xn or 2xn bricks in it.  The life of this experiment
would probably be extended a great deal buy doing this.  There may be other
pieces that should be prohibited as well.  Instead of ending up with a box
of blue 1x1s, we may end up with a box of blue boat plates instead!

I don't know, if I had a boatload of boat plates, I might play with
making a hull from them (one could also slightly change the lines of a
boat by alternating between boat bow bricks and plates). Also 1x10 or
longer and 2x8 or longer are probably ok in small quantities (I suspect
they wouldn't travel more than a stop or two in the box). Uncommon
colors would also be ok in small to moderate quantities.

PS:  Count me in!  I want to be on the list as well but like Larry, my
travel schedule can be somewhat unpredictable so there is a small chance
that I couldn't meet the one week turn around requirement.

Of course Raleigh is one of those multi-person stops...  I'm sure James,
Phil, and Karim would be game for it.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

  i aggree that rare colors such as green,brown,light blue,orange of basic bricks
etc be allowed