 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 1837
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:28:10 GMT

Completely cool idea! Sign me up. I have to weigh in on this sorted
bags issue however. I too would love to acquire large quantities of
classic windows and other specific pieces. But if when the boxes start
out all of the windows are in box A and I'm 6th on the list to get that
box, what are the odds there will by *any* left by the time they get to
me. By then it will be a random assortment of pieces, heavy in whatever
theme(s) the last recipient was unloading and light in what they were
taking. So why not start them that way? Signing up for a specific box
could actually be counter productive since it would encourage people
with similar taste in parts to be in the same queue.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have a large collection of a certain
type of piece and would hate to see it broken up, maybe it doesn't belong
in the trade boxes. Auction them, sell them, trade them, whatever, but
IMO the trade boxes will work best when they contain a wide variety of
pieces.

Frank, in what to me looked like a rather despairing tone :-), mentioned
a possible rule limiting what percentage of the pieces one person could
take. Okay, he just said "a rule you can't take the whole bag..." but
I'm sure someone will get more specific. Again, defeats the purpose, IMO,
and quite cruel to boot. Can you imagine getting a whole box of piece X,
which you've hunted for and coveted for years, and being told you can
only keep 10 of them but if the box makes it back around to you in a few
months and if there are any left you can have 10 more? Ouch!

Doug