 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 1908
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:35:33 GMT

Sorry my comments are a little late on this subject.  Every hotel in Europe
provides it on unique set of issues when trying to get online.  It seems
like everytime I figure out the dialing sequence it is time to change hotels
again.

Anyway, my connection woes aside, I have to agree with Julie on this one.
"Box Trot", expecially when written without spaces like it would be as a
news group, conveys some images (at least to me anyway) that I can do
without.  Everytime I read it I see "Box Rot".

How about "Box Quest"?  To me the word "quest" means a journey with an
indetermite ending which is where the box(es) is (are) going.  Since I can't
look it up right now I can't verify if that is an accurate deifinition or
not.

When ever I go out on a LEGO hunt (Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) I consider it a
"LEGO Quest" as one never knows what one might find.  I typically find
myself on "LEGO Quests" when I am on the road, particularly if I go
somewhere new or somewhere I don't go often.  It sure beats hanging out in
my hotel room or the hotel bar.  Fortunatley stores in the US are open late!
This is harder for me  to do in Europe where many stores close around 6:00
PM.  This really isn't a big problem for me since my travel to Europe is
pretty infrequent (once or twice a year).

This box will be on a quest of sorts.  It has a loose plan and an
indeterminate ending.  We all hope that when it arrives on our door step
that it contains those couple of pieces that have eluded us through all of
the auctions, sales, flea markets, garage sales, etc.

I like the idea of a newsgroup or web page tracking the box.  Someone had
suggested putting some sort of log book in the box as well.  Notes on what
was taken or added and why might be simply from a curiousity stand point.
For example, I can see myself throwing in one blue thin door.  A while back
I picked up a grab bag from a thrift shop.  There were four bags and I only
bough one (I know better now).  In my bag were two right hand doors, and no
left hand doors.  I have yet to find a use for two right hand doors so one
of them could go in the box.  Someone else may be like me and have two left
hand doors.  You just never know.

I also think that tracking the box(es) on LUGNET is important for planning
as well as from a historical perspective.  If this thing works well, the
life span of this could continue on indefinitely.  I personally might like
to see it every two to three months.  It might hit 10-15 people in a two
month time frame.  The whole box could potentially turn over in that amount
of time.  There might be a blue left side thin door in it!

I find this whole idea interesting from a sociology perspective (not that I
am a sociologist, far from it, I am an Electrical Engineer).  A group of
people, most of whom don't know each other except from written text in the
form of e-mails and news postings (of course there are exceptions, some
people have actually met live), will queue up (I love this British term) to
receive a box that may potentially have absolutely nothing of value in it
for them (from their perspective).  Also, participants must commit to
spending $3-$4 (not much actually) to send it on and more importantly, some
of their time to pass it on in a timely fashion.  If you described this
concept to one of your co-workers or neighbors what do you think their
reaction would be?

Lastly, where did we end up on a set of rules?  While I believe that most of
the interested parties are on the up and up, it would only take one person
to really screw up this process, which would be unfortunate.  I still like
the idea of disallowing 1xN and 2xN bricks ascontributions and I am sure
other people have similar ideas.  A list of non-allowable parts should also
be included in the box just as a reminder.  I also think that there should
be a limit on the number of parts that could be exchanged.  While some
LUGNETeers (I saw used the other day, what do people think of this term?)
have literally thousands of "scrap" pieces, others may only have a dozen or
so.  We certainly don't want to limit this project to the "LEGO Endowed".
In fact the people who have smaller collections should probably be the
primary beneficiaries of this effort.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Disagreements?  Any feedback is welcome as these are
just my thoughts and I am by no means an authority, simply someone who wants
to participate and see this thing succeed for more than a few months.  In
fact, if it dies out before six months have past I think we as a group will
have failed.

Mike - mike_walsh@mentorg.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh

dkrenz wrote in message <3787F377.7A1259ED@mc.net>...

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
Call it Boxtrot and let's get the group up.

Let's make sure that it's not some twisted slang word for a lap dance or
something like that first.

--Todd

p.s.  Here's what Merriam-Webster online <www.m-w.com> says for "trot":

Main Entry: 1 trot
Pronunciation: 'trät
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from troter to trot, of
   Germanic origin; akin to Old High German trottOn to tread, Old English
   tredan
Date: 14th century
1 (a1): a moderately fast gait of a quadruped (as a horse) in which the
  legs move in diagonal pairs  (a2): a jogging gait of a human that falls
  between a walk and a run   (b): a ride on horseback
2 : an old woman
3 : a literal translation of a foreign text

4 plural : DIARRHEA

As in "I'm suffering from boxtrots"? eeewwww! That's just as bad as the
example of
what Ed said it sounded like to him.

I'm liking it less and less, too many gross images.

Julie