 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 1856
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 03:25:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Doug Finney writes:
snip<
I think your discovering the box to be a) much larger and b) more sorted
than you originally thought has affected the whole concept in a major way.
What started as a mish-mash of maybe 1000 random elements from who-knows-
what themes has become 16 pounds, partially sorted with pictures forthcoming.

It was that "gamble on a grab-bag" aspect of your initial post that first
piqued my interest. Of course, the contents of the bags will probably be
a random mish-mash one or two people down the line regardless of their
contents when you first ship them off to Larry or whoever so it's probably
a moot point anyway. :-)

In any event, count me in. Still sounds like fun to me.

Doug
I agree with Doug. I really like the idea of a half dozen or so "Mystery
Boxes" circulating among the LUGNETeers... kind of like getting a lot of
quality garage sale stuff to pick through. If it turns into the kind of
thing where a TOWNie is EXPECTING to get a bunch of round trees, classic
windows or some other sought after element because of foreknowledge of
the packages' contents then it isn't fun anymore. That's what WTT/WTB
lists on your personal web page are for.
Also, don't make the boxes too big... keep the contents under 2 pounds
so everyone can ship for fixed rate via USPS 2# Priority Mailer boxes,
otherwise shipping will be a hassle and turnaround times will start to
stretch. You receive the box, pick the parts you want out of the gallon
ziplocks, replace with your parts, put in a free mailer from the post
office, pay your $3.20 and send it on the way to the next destination.
While I'm at it, if it isn't too much trouble, what are the chances of a
newsgroup for stories from recipients of the box(es)? Maybe something
like lugnet.market.mysterybox'o'fun  :)
Just my two bricks worth... and sign me up!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)  ICQ UIN#17112614; IRC nick:  ^2muchdew