 General / 5328
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:11:57 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Here's an idea I've been itching to try out for about 4 years...  I've got a

Very cool!

There has been a fair amount of discussion regarding rules for this, but
I bet that if it just started, people would keep it going well.  I think
the idea of a newsgroup devoted to discussion of these boxes is a good
idea too.  What if there were a small log-book included in the box where
people could write where and when it went and maybe include the stamps
used - or whatever, so that we could get a real feel for it's journey.

1.  You'd have to pitch in at least as many pieces as you took out, and

Good rule.  More specifics - like a ratio to stick to would be cumbersome.

2.  You'd have to work quickly -- grabbing out what you wanted and repacking

Quickly is relative and there might end up several of them floating
around so quickly doesn't matter so much.

3.  Putting in a little more than you took out would be encouraged --

Right.  The idea of forking is really neat too.  I figure that anyone on
the list is agreeing to pony up postage for sending it on in exchange
for the right to trade with it/them.  If/when it comes to me, if it's
reasonable to add enough to cause a fork, I'll do so and then pass one
off to Europe so that someone there can get it going around...but I want
it back when it's returning to North America :-)

If everyone sent the pieces on to the next person via USPS Priority mail,
sealed in a 2-gallon ZipLoc bag, it ought to be fairly inexpensive (about $5
per person), at least within the U.S., which would be a good place to give
it a try.

It would be cheaper for non-priority.  I'm thinking that 1000 pieces is
too many.  How about 200 to start?

Does this sound like a fun idea?

Very.

I'm thinking too that it would be fun to just buy a box off the shelf
and send it around for trades and see how it ended up after n trades.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA