 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12685
Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:15:41 GMT

What happened to the old days?  I don't remember Lego being this un-"fun":

-People never used to complain MORE of a cool set was coming along.  Sets
weren't "collectable" and no one worried about "exclusivity".

Sorry don't under stand this 100% (the English language here).
I guess you mean, that people complain about new sets, bad design etc.
Some do, I still (an most?) see sets as bricks, we build our own.

New colours - that causes a lot to discuss.

I see it this way, that people today demand more, just looking how people behave
in traffic today make me want to go by bus to work. I recall when people would
help eachother, and noone would force themselves in front of you.
Today it is a jungle, people drive more or less as they want thinking of
THEMSELVES as the most and only important in the traffic. Noone will help, and
they try to get in front of you no matter the cost - and get angry if not
possible. *

I think this is a general thing to day, but lets try to keep this out of lugnet.
Read more below (under design).

* Here they call it "the American situation".

-Scalping wasn't an accepted way of doing things.  People used to help each
other out buying sets based, mostly on karma.  Find a set someone wanted?  I'll
pick it up for you, and in return, maybe one day someone will help me out.  Or
at most, maybe a finders fee.  None of this, "I'll buy 200 copies" and huck them
on eBay or BrickBay or whatever it's called.  It wasn't to say people didn't buy
stuff to sell, but it was an auxiliary thing, not the core of the hobby.

This part is hard to understand too (karma?)
I just got helped to get a 10152 for a friend here, but for a quite nice price.
Still cheaper than Bricklink.
I feel that people help "their friends".

I still offer to pick up airline specials (I travel a lot), but there are no
request.

Let me mention here, that I'd still like to to trades, but that is impossible.
I have asked for that for some times, and noone respond.
Today I have to get my parts on Bricklink and pay for them.
I rather buy a set, get the parts I need, and trade the rest for the remaining
parts I need.
Appearently only I want that.

-Builders didn't steal each others design, they praised and tried other people's
ideas and techniques.  There was never debate about "copyrighting" a frickin
spaceship design and Lego fans didn't sound like 12 year olds in the schoolyard
kvetching about who invented the "Supergalaxinator 9000".  "Bobby did,
defintely.  He revealed the revolutionary Maxowhomper EX+ cannon at recess
yesterday, and it's clear Robert here has stolen the design!"  It was pretty
well a given you wouldn't go and try selling the design of someone else, while
calling it your own.

hmmm... arent we here to help eachother?
Copyright is one thing * but development has to go on.

I think the best credit you can get, it if someone uses your idea/design. That
means, that it has been done well.
If I build something for ISCC, I'd like to see my idea there and take the
credits for it - afterall I did it.
Still, I have to look for what others are doing, and I'd like to see my ideas go
ahead, to do something I "can pass on" to other people.
Feel free to use my ideas.

first line agian...

(software patenst - bad idea - should we credit every single SNOT idea? That
would be fun to see the list of "helps" for a MOC).

-Lego fans weren't gay or straight, they just were Lego fans.  That wasn't to
say there weren't gay Lego fans, it's just it wasn't a big deal" They were Lego
fans first, and only.  There weren't big debates from right wing religious nuts
or segregation into newsgroups based on sexual preference.  People just accepted
each other and let them be on their way.

Aren't there off-topic groups for this?

-People never held Lego to their word (and when did Lego have a "word" anyways?)
like it was a legal contract or griped about it as if they were betrayed by
their father.  "You were a mistake!  A 9 month long mistake!" :)  Sheesh.  It
was accepted back then that Lego was this huge company that did things you had
no control over.  In a way, maybe it was better than way, because no one had the
expectation or self-congratulation that they were somehow important.

Hell, I'm even agreeing with Larry as of late.  What the hell happened?

See my car-story above.

Sonnich