 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12692
Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:52:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Joshua Opotzner wrote:
   be honest I miss the old rec.toys.lego. Though I’m sure I’ll be practicially destroyed for this, I think that Lugnet hurt things a lot. I dislike how

I don’t know about that. Lugnet enabled the community to grow to proportions rtl never would have. But those same proportions cause us trouble now.

   I miss being able to buy a set, open the box, spill out the polybags, and make the model half giddy, impressed with the final result. The Imperial Star Destroyer was good, but come on. Wheres the cool themed sets with minifigs? When was the last time we got a Neptune Discovery Lab, Message Intercept Base, Fort Legoredo, Gas N’ Wash Express? Nowadays I never look at sets and go “oh, coool”, I grimly study the box for signs of good pieces, looking for excuses to buy something like in the old days. Usually, I lose the battle and go to Bricklink.

That’s true--but there’s some amazing stuff out there, especially this last year or two: The Designer truck and helicopter, the Maersk ship, the Technic Backhoe,

   weary. I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that the overall hobby has changed drastically, and not for the better. Not at all.

It’s changed defintely. Not for the better in the ways I listed, at least in my opinion, but also for the better in the ways Tony listed. Is it worth it to have both?

Calum