 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12670
Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:32:54 GMT

I was perfectly for the 'ignore them' routine.  The situation, however, is that
the company of our chosen hobby has representatives here and they see the
shenanigans and the b*tchfest going on by a vocal minority.  How then can we, as
adult fans of the LEGO community, build up a relationship with TLC?  How is TLC
suppose to take us seriously?

Simple--they can't.  As a multi-naitonal and multi million dollar business, I
wouldn't take an AFOL community seriously if what's posted here on LUGNET is any
indication as to the maturity of said group.

I've stated before--bad things happen when good people keep their mouths shut
whilst the vocal minority yip away.

Dave K

I'm not sure I agree.  The Internet is a hyper-acceleration of the human
tendency to spend more time on negative communication than on positive.  Any
company gleaning information from a customer or fan base on the Internet must,
in order to effectively tap that very valuable dialog, be able to filter the
wheat from the chaff.

To throw out the baby with the bath water over the negative comments of what
comprise a very tiny, fractional percentage of the company's customer base is
just plain bad business.

Yes, the "let's all rag on Lego" threads are big - but as big as they are, they
are still only a very small fraction of the good communication that happens here
on Lugnet, and are very easily identified.  It's wise for the company to skim
those as well, because they usually contain at least some kernel of a
potentially important issue, but to judge the community based on every last
scrap of whine out there is not a good idea.

.Steve Coallier
"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway!"